All Now Mysterious...

Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Power and Preparation

Wow, it's been a week since I posted anything. Sorry, loyal reader(s). I've been busy with school, work (we actually have work!), and other such things.

I experienced a rather delicious piece of irony last Friday. I have a physics class this semester. The first segment of the class deals with electricity: charge, current, resistance, capacitance, electric fields, and everything else that makes electricity so wonderful and important. Our first exam was Friday afternoon at 2:00. I got to the Physics building a bit after 1:00, only to find that the exam had been postponed.

The power in the building was out.

We also had a short (~4 hours) outage at my apartment building that evening. It wasn't so bad, except that an older lady had got stuck in the elevator. But the building manager called the fire department, and they came and got her out with minimal fuss. The firefighters didn't seem too happy to see us all standing in the hall holding candles (or in my case, an oil lamp), though.

I was actually on the computer (surprise, surprise) when the power failed. Fortunately, though, I was able to resist the urge to panic. I knew that I had a flashlight, and I knew where to find it. If the outage were to last a substantial length of time, I had food stored away. And I knew that my bicycle was in good condition if I needed to go anywhere.

I don't know how many of you out there have a 72-hour emergency kit. If you don't, I recommend that you get one. You may never need it...but then again, you may.

If you don't know what a 72-hour kit is or how to make one, just type "72-hour emergency kit" into Google or some other search engine. Or you can check out this site for a good start.

Thank you. This has been a public service announcement complements of Michael's Random Musings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home