All Now Mysterious...

Friday, March 18, 2005

Friday Music Thing

Since there is no Friday's Feast this week, I present this week's Top Five on Friday from The Music Memoirs:

Top 5 songs/albums you listen to when you are stressed

The Music of Cosmos
This is quite possibly my favorite CD ever. Through this album - yes, it was on vinyl when I first owned it - I was introduced to the music of Vangelis, Isao Tomita, and Alan Hovhaness, and to specific pieces by several other composers. Playing this CD lets me board the spaceship of my imagination and see the universe in all of its splendor. That always helps me to put my own problems into their proper perspective.

Classical Music For Home Improvements
This is a collection of classical pieces by composers ranging from Beethoven to Verdi to Wagner to Sousa, all of them upbeat and energetic. The collection starts off with Copeland's "Fanfare for the Common Man" and moves straight into Strauss' "Also Spracht Zarathustra". The experience ends just over an hour later with the boisterous finale from Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture". Just the thing for a quick recharge.

In Classical Mood, vol. 9: Bittersweet Memories
This is another classical collection filled with quieter, more contemplative music that evokes feelings of memory and longing. Highlights include Elgar's "Cello Concerto in E Minor", Sibelius' "The Swan of Tuonela", Bruch's "Violin Concerto No. 1 in G Minor", and of course, Barber's poignant "Adagio for Strings".

Watermark by Enya
I always find Enya's music to be soothing, and this one's my favorite. Plus, there are some fond memories I associate with the music on this CD. My favorites here are the title track, "Cursum Perficio", and "The Longships".

Surfing With the Alien by Joe Satriani
Sometimes when I'm stressed, I just need to listen to something fast and loud to get me out of it. In these situations, Satch is just the ticket. Favorite track: "Crushing Day".

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home