All Now Mysterious...

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Phoning It In

Dilliwag recently posted his views on cell phones on his blog. It made me think about the fact that I've now been exclusively wireless for just over a year now.

I have to admit, I've really come to appreciate my cell phone this past year. I ultimately bought it just because it was so much better a deal than having a land line. And it's reassuring to know that I have options if/when I have car troubles (and with a 17-year-old Dreadnought, you know it's 'when' rather than 'if'). The free long distance is a nice touch too, with so many of my friends and family members being out of the local calling area. So yeah, it's been nice.

But I still don't entirely like cell phones—mostly because of the way other people use them. Everything dilliwag said rings true with me as well (no pun intended). People talk way too much, way too loudly, and about way too many private things in public. I remember riding a bus one night where a woman on the back row was having this nasty personal conversation at a volume level that was hard to avoid even with headphones. She literally got an ovation when she got off. If I ever become that person, somebody please taser me.

I've had to deal with a lot of cell phone related distractions both as a call center manager and as a teacher. And it irks me a little when I hear a phone ring in a theater or some other such place. But my all-time favorite is when someone's phone rings in church.

It just makes me want to ask: Do you seriously think your conversation is more important than God?

3 Comments:

  • Yeah I agree with you a lot, I try and not answer my phone almost all of the time, especially at work, I do see a LOT of people walking with other people and that person is talking to someone else on the phone. On my phone, if there is a call and it is important most all of my friends or people that want to talk to me, know to leave a message and then I will get back to it later. If it not important I guess there is no need to get back to it.

    By Blogger Unknown, At October 12, 2006 10:15 PM  

  • Safety and the need for contact with daycare providers are the reasons we caved, Mikey. STK is driving 55 miles to work and 55 back. That's a lot of drive time and we wanted her to be able to phone for help whenever needed. We also wanted some way for TLO's daycare to reach me in the classroom. A phone on vibrate, a setting of which my students seem unaware, is a great way to let me know I'm needed ASAP. I guess it's probably cell phone ettiquette that frosts my cake, eh? Like all tools, cell phones can be used or abused.

    By Blogger dilliwag, At October 13, 2006 12:01 AM  

  • Wednesday night at symphony rehearsal, a cell phone went off in the middle of a piece, which prompted the conductor to suggest someone write a concerto for cell phone. Not a bad idea.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At October 13, 2006 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home