All Now Mysterious...

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Dinner at the Improv

So around 6:00 last night, I began to think about what we were going to have for dinner. I looked through the fridge, the freezer, and the pantry and nothing really leapt out at me. I pulled out Old Reliable, the trusty Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book (12th Edition) and started looking around. And while I didn't exactly find something I felt like making, it did inspire me to try something with ingredients I had just determined that we had.

So here's what I used, and how I made it.

1 cup white rice (uncooked)
1 10¾ ounce can Campbell's cream of chicken with herbs soup
5 ounces (half a soup can) milk
10¾ ounces (one soup can) water
1 14 ounce can turkey chunks
8 ounces frozen broccoli/cauliflower/carrot vegetable mix
½ cup shredded Colby Jack cheese

I put the rice in the bottom of a 3 quart glass casserole dish. In a separate bowl I mixed the soup, milk, water, and turkey. I poured the mixture into the casserole dish over the rice. I defrosted the vegetables and added them, pushing them down into the liquid. I sprinkled the cheese evenly over the top of the whole mix. Then I put the lid on the casserole dish and baked it at 350º F (175º C) for 35 minutes.

It turned out pretty well. It was pretty flavorful, even without any added spices. The vegetables were tender, though for my taste there could have been more carrots and broccoli and less cauliflower. The rice was a little crunchy, but not so much that it detracted from the meal. Overall, I was pleased.

The next time I make it, though, I think I'll make the following changes:
1. I'll probably use chicken, either canned or freshly cooked. I used turkey chunks this time because that's what we had.
2. I'll probably use a little more water and/or leave it in the oven longer (45 minutes, I think) to cook the rice more thoroughly.
3. For that matter, I'll probably mix the rice in with the liquid next time, rather than pouring the liquid over it.

I have a friend whose philosophy is, "Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon." I think he'd be pleased at how things turned out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home