All Now Mysterious...

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Music Meme Triple Play

Tuesday Tunes: Week 57 from The Music Memoirs

November 10th was the anniversary of the day The Edmund Fitzgerald went down during a storm on Lake Superior. So we're going to have a nautical theme meme—word association style:

Ocean: "Songs of the Ocean" by Arjen Anthony Lucassen's Star One
River: "Come Sail Away" by Styx (You know, the river Styx?)
Sea: "The Heart Shaped Sea" by Roxette
Sailor: "Son of a Son of a Sailor" by Jimmy Buffett
Ship: "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" by Gordon Lightfoot (Sorry, but that really is the first one that came to mind.)
Wave: "Catch a Wave" by the Beach Boys
Sand: "Sands of Nevada" by Mark Knopfler
Sail: "Orinoco Flow" by Enya (Sail away, sail away, sail away)
Navy: "Piano Man" by Billy Joel (And he's talkin with Davy / Who's still in the Navy / And probably will be for life)
Deep: "In Too Deep" by Genesis

--

Top 5 On Friday - Week 198
From The Music Memoirs

Top 5 "Country" or "Alt-Country" songs

Alt.Country is one of my favorite musical genres. Thanks to a brother who's hip deep in the red dirt country scene, I've been introduced to the music of a lot of bands, after which I've gone out and discovered a few of my own. I could name songs by any number of artists: Bleu Edmondson, Randy Rogers Band, Amy Rigby, Kimmie Rhodes, Railbenders, the Great Divide, Big & Rich, Cowboy Troy, and the Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash, just to name a few. But the five I've included in this week's list (including links to albums and band web sites) are my favorites. Enjoy!

» "Cold Hearted Woman" by Cross Canadian Ragweed
From the album Soul Gravy

» "Sixgun" by Reckless Kelly
From the album Wicked Twisted Road

» "Miserable Year" by Micky and the Motorcars
From the album Ain't in It for the Money

» "Ponies" by Jason Boland and the Stragglers
From the album Pearl Snaps

» "Mariano" by Robert Earl Keen
From the album West Textures

--

Tuesday Tunes: Week 56 from The Music Memoirs

Tell me the first artist, song, album etc the comes to mind when you see these words:

Relax: "Relax" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Politics: "Us and Them" by Pink Floyd
Negative: "Positively Negative" by Todd Shider
Amused: "Woke Up Laughing" by Robert Palmer
Relief: "It's Over" by Squirrel Nut Zippers
Alone: "Solitaire" by Laura Branigan
Party: "Party at the End of the World" by Jimmy Buffett
End: "Seasons End" by Marillion
Sick: "Lovesick Blues" by Hank Williams
Voice: "One Clear Voice" by Peter Cetera

7 Comments:

  • Have you ever heard the South Park version of Come Sail Away? I died laughing. If I weren't morally opposed to them as a whole, I'd buy the song.

    By Blogger Wendy, At November 11, 2008 8:36 AM  

  • Never heard it, but I understand the sentiment. About being morally opposed, that is, not necessarily about dying laughing. Nancy started singing "O Holy Night" ala Cartman the other night, and it really creeped me out. :eek:

    By Blogger Michael, At November 11, 2008 9:01 AM  

  • Wow, you did all of those at once!

    The Cartman Come Sail Away cracks me right up.

    In Too Deep...ahhh...what a great, deep pick!

    By Blogger Natsthename, At November 11, 2008 10:22 AM  

  • We shared two this Tuesday (Songs of the Ocean and Sail Away) although I had Sail away on a different word.

    Glad you caught up. :)

    By Blogger Lord Mhoram, At November 11, 2008 11:00 AM  

  • Thanks for visiting - I have never heard the South Park version either - I'll have to check it out since the Styx version makes me cringe.

    By Blogger The Bumbles, At November 11, 2008 11:57 AM  

  • Great list!! I LOVE that you used Enya!! Perfection! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At November 11, 2008 1:13 PM  

  • On list 57 -- we matched with Enya. First match I have seen so far with me.

    I thought your list 56 was very original!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At November 12, 2008 12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home