All Now Mysterious...

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

RE: Today's Big Event

Last night Nancy asked me if I'd be watching the Presidential inauguration today. The answer is no, I will not.

It's not because I don't like Barack Obama. He seems intelligent, decent, and earnest. It's not because I'm a big fan of George W. Bush, either. I don't think he's the worst President ever like a lot of people seem to think (see below), but he's had problems, some of them very serious. It's not even that I disagree with Obama's politics. He wasn't my first choice, as long time readers will already know, and he's not the candidate that best represents my own views. But I appreciate the value of a diversity of opinions in matters of national policy. No, none of these are the reasons I won't be watching the inauguration.

It's because if I have to see one more media talking head wet themselves over the greatness and glory of Barack Obama, I'm going to vomit.

Didn't the folks in the media at least try to give the impression that they were unbiased once upon a time?

Now I understand that this is a big moment in our collective experience. A historic moment, even. But seriously, have you listened to the news anchors and the reporters and the political commentators? They're enraptured. They're treating today's inauguration like the second coming of...well, I don't know how to finish that sentence, because I can't think of anyone whose first coming generated this kind of media awe and adulation.

I just hope that those in the media aren't setting themselves—and their viewers, listeners, and readers—up for a big disappointment.

NPR's Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!, whose host and panelists have never met a George W. Bush joke they didn't like, was rife with pot shots at the outgoing President last week. More rife than usual, I guess I should say.

Wordsmith.org's Anu Garg, who's never been hesitant to use A.Word.A.Day to promulgate his own leftist political agenda, opened yesterday's mailing with the statement, "Tomorrow Barack Obama will become president of the US, and not a moment too soon."

The message is clear: With the end of the Bush Presidency and the coming of Barack Obama, all of our national problems are over. Everything is going to change for the better.

I hope that's the case, I really do. But even I'm not naïve enough to believe it's going to be the case immediately. The stock market's not going to rise to 12,000 again today after the inauguration. The insurgents in Iraq aren't going to lay down their arms just because we have a new administration. Osama bin Laden's not going to walk into the U.S. Embassy in Kabul or Islamabad and give himself up just because Bush is gone. Obama's presence is not going to get rid of lead paint in Chinese toys or salmonella in peanuts.

I hope that Obama and his team will make significant progress in all these areas. I think he's got a real chance to make a positive difference in the world and in our country. But it's going to take time and effort—a lot of effort, and most likely, a lot of time. It's not going to happen overnight.

I'm tired of all the media wits acting like it's fait accompli just because it's Inauguration Day.

So no, I won't be watching the inauguration today. Someone tell me how it turns out, will you?

--

As far as George W. Bush being the "Worst President Ever", I have just one question: Are you serious? Worst President ever? (Okay, so that's two questions. But, still.)

Worse than Lyndon B. Johnson, whose stubbornness got the United States mired in Vietnam?

Worse than Jimmy Carter, who, while being a good and decent human being and doing some nice things with Israel and Egypt, was utterly unable to deal with Iran, the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, or the struggling US economy?

Worse than Richard Nixon?

For my money, that's three US Presidents who were worse than George W. Bush—or if we're going to open it up to ad hominem attacks as so many people have been doing with W over the past eight years, four (Bill Clinton).

And that's just in my lifetime.

Worst President ever? Give me a break.

3 Comments:

  • I couldn't agree with you more about the media coverage, Mikey. Talk about overkill. While I agree with some of the sentiment--I personally believe we are seeing the inauguration of a President who may become one of the best and brightest to ever hold the office . . . I could be totally off base on this, too--we really need to let the Obama presidency run its course before making such judgments. And the moment is certainly historical in that the country elected a person of color to our highest public office. Still, isn't 24/7 coverage since late last week a bit much? I haven't watched any of the coverage and will only watch the inaugural address (which is like the Olympics for rhetoric scholars!).

    By Blogger dilliwag, At January 20, 2009 8:41 AM  

  • Agreed completely. Makes me glad I don't have TV reception. :)

    I almost wish that the inauguration could have been yesterday.. just for the symbolism of the historic moment.

    By Blogger Lord Mhoram, At January 20, 2009 9:08 AM  

  • Wait, did Dilliwag AND Lord Mhoram both just agree on something?

    Hmmmm, where'd I put my tinfoil hat?

    By Blogger Michael, At January 20, 2009 9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home