All Now Mysterious...

Thursday, May 19, 2011

I Am Who I Am . . . I Think

I realized over the weekend that my driver's license was going to expire on Tuesday. I was planning to go over and get my new license Monday after school, when I discovered that I wouldn't be able to. I had forgotten about a law the state legislature passed a couple of years ago, designed to pander to the right-wing nutjobs who sometimes run things in this state protect us all from the scourge of illegal immigration by requiring proof of citizenship or legal residency to get a driver's license. So I looked up the information online and discovered that I would need to show the Driver License Division a certified copy of my birth certificate (as well as my Social Security card and two recent bills confirming my address, but I have those).

So I got on the Colorado state web site and looked up the information for ordering a certified copy of my birth certificate. (Gosh, I hope they send me the long form....) I printed and filled out the application, made a photocopy of my current driver's license (to prove that I am who I say I am, which seems a little like circular reasoning in this context), wrote out a check, and sent it off to the county records division in the state of my nativity.

I got a phone call today from someone at the county records division. She told me they had received my application, but were unable to process it.

Because my driver's license had expired.

2 Comments:

  • ROFLMAO!

    By Blogger dilliwag, At May 19, 2011 7:45 PM  

  • Gotta love it! I think I would have fought it by saying something like, "Well, on the day it was mailed, it was not expired. So, therefore, you need to accept it." Probably wouldn't have worked but it would be fun to hear them squirm a bit.

    By Blogger Nancy, At May 20, 2011 4:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home