All Now Mysterious...

Friday, April 15, 2016

Why I Teach Science

“How does this thing work? Why does that stuff change? How does that do what it just did?”
-Introduction, Sid the Science Kid
   
I have a 6 year old daughter and a 2½ year old son. It is a daily adventure watching them discover the world around them. They are so curious about their little universe, so passionate about exploring their surroundings, and so thrilled when they learn something new or figure something out for themselves. They have such joy in discovery.

Science should be like that for everybody.

I have spent the past seven years teaching chemistry at Olympus High School in Salt Lake City.  I have had the opportunity to work with many, many great students.  I have known that most of them would not pursue a career in the sciences.  But I have tried to help them each to cultivate an appreciation for the wonder of our world and the joy that comes from curiosity and discovery.  These are traits that transcend the discipline of science; I believe they are a natural part of a well-balanced life.

I love science because I love learning and discovering new things about the world we live in.  I teach science because I love seeing my students have that same experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home