All Now Mysterious...

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Remembering

On Sunday morning, I caught part of the rebroadcast of Elder David B. Haight's funeral. Elder Haight was the oldest member ever of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. His death at the age of 97 followed closely on the heels of the death of Elder Neal A. Maxwell of the same Quorum. I never met either man personally; what I know of them I know by listening to them speak and reading their words. I've thought quite a bit about both of these exemplary men in the past couple of weeks, and here are some of my thoughts.

Elder Haight always struck me as the kind of man I'd want as a grandfather. He always spoke plainly, with kindness and sincerity. His smile and the gleam in his eyes seemed to put people at ease and to tell those he spoke to that they were valued and appreciated. His sense of humor, which was often evident, was never sarcastic or mean-spirited. His Christlike love of those around him is humbling to me; he seemed immune to anger and frustration.

I am much more familiar with Elder Maxwell's works. He was one of the two or three speakers I really looked forward to hearing at each General Conference. A man of great intelligence and learning, he taught me that the search for salvation could be a matter of the mind as well as the heart. Spirituality and secular learning can coexist, and even reinforce one another. This idea flies in the face of the philosophies of most academics and many people of faith. But each of Elder Maxwell's talks, filled with meticulously researched examples, wide-ranging metaphors, and exquisitely constructed prose, proved that it was true. It came as a great relief to me to know that I could become knowledgeable in the Gospel without having to be ignorant in all the knowledge the world had to offer.

Both of these men have helped to strengthen my faith, albeit in different ways. Both have been examples of what I would like one day to become. For their examples I am eternally grateful. Perhaps one day, in the world beyond the veil, I will meet them and express my gratitude personally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home