All Now Mysterious...

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Giving Thanks

This is a game I first played while serving in the West Virginia Charleston Mission. While walking the country roads one day, my trainer, Elder Duncan, suggested that we try to come up with something for which we were thankful for every letter of the alphabet. We took turns, and it helped not only to pass the time between homes, but also to remind me how blessed I really am.

Since it's now that season, I extend the challenge to you, loyal reader(s). List one thing for each letter of the alphabet for which you are thankful, and show the world your gratitude.

A: Aaron It's been good to get closer to my brother this year, even if that closeness came as the result of unpleasant circumstances for both of us. Hang in there, bro.
B: Books A good read is the cure for almost any ill.
C & D: Curtis and Derek My two oldest, best friends. Thank you for being there and keeping me centered (Derek to the left, Curtis to the right, as it were).
E: Electricity Because it'd be a real pain to have to check your e-mail in the dark.
F: First Amendment Even if I don't agree with what a lot of people say or believe, it's good to know that we've got the right to have the discussion.
G: Grandparents I've only got one left now (or one and a half, depending on how you count). I look back fondly on my time with them and the lessons they've taught me.
H: Humor You have to be able to laugh.
I: Internal Combustion Engine Because walking everywhere would just suck.
J & K: Jordan and Kayla My nieces, an all-too-infrequent source of laughter and sunshine in my life. Thanks, girls.
L: Life It's not always fun, but it's always worth having.
M: Music You already knew this if you visit this site regularly. From Beethoven to the Beatles to the B-52's, music gives a voice to feelings I can't otherwise enunciate.
N: Nani and Nelson My parents. Much of what I am today comes from their teaching, their example, and their encouragement. I appreciate that, even if I didn't always enjoy it.
O: Orange Juice A simple pleasure, and the beverage of choice when carbonation gets tiresome.
P: Plumbing, Indoor Better than an outhouse. Enough said.
Q: Quiet The get-it-all, get-it-now, thrill-a-minute siren call of modern life is overrated. Sometimes it's nice just to sit quietly and contemplate the things that are really important.
R: Readers If none of you were reading this and giving me feedback, it'd be kind of pointless, wouldn't it? *
S: Sam My youngest brother, who made it through growing up in Johnstown and didn't turn our completely dysfunctional. You're a good man, and you give hope to the rest of us.
T: Testimony My knowledge of the gospel of Jesus Christ is my most treasured possession. It is an anchor to me in times of trial, and a guide in times of uncertainty. It is my life, in the ways that matter most.
U: United States of America I know it's not perfect here, but I'll take it over any and all alternatives.
V: Voice What a blessing it is to be able to speak, to hear, to see - to communicate easily with others. I know I take that for granted sometimes.
W: Western Research I'm happy to have a job that allows me to indulge some of my more expensive habits: eating, sleeping indoors, etc.
X: My Ex Although things didn't turn out the way I wanted or planned, I learned a lot from her, and we had some wonderful, sublime experiences together. Best wishes, wherever you go.
Y: Yuletide carols What can I say? I love Christmas music. +
Z: Zeezrom A private (and unlikely) hero of mine from the Book of Mormon; he had the courage to change his life when he found out he was wrong.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

--

* "It's pointless anyway," I hear some of you smirking.
+ But not before Thanksgiving. Please, do we have to start decorating for Christmas before Halloween has even passed?

1 Comments:

  • Thank you for making that point about Christmas music (and other assorted detrius) before Thanksgiving! I saw two houses decked out in Christmas lights as I made my way back from the grocery store on Saturday, and something about it was truly odd.

    By Blogger Your Host, At November 17, 2004 6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home