All Now Mysterious...

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Tonight, Tonight, Tonight

All the supervisors were called in to a special meting at work on Monday evening. We were told there that two other supervisors and two additional employees were terminated the day before Thanksgiving and were now under police investigation for defrauding the company on their time cards. We had a big talk about what had happened, how to deal with it if those people (who were among the more popular employees we had) showed up or called, things like that. Lovely.

We also talked about the changes that would take place as a result of the loss of these people. One of the people who got caught and released was one of our three shift managers (people that high up should know better, don'tcha think?), and another was our trainer. That meant these holes had to be filled. I had talked to Jason, the field director, about learning to be a trainer, so I had hopes in that direction. But he said he had already offered the position to one of the newer supervisors, so that was that.

However, since I was now one of the three or four senior supervisors there, he chose me to take up some of the shift manager slack. So now I'm a quality assurance supervisor most of the week, but the shift manager on Tuesday nights.

Tonight was my first night as a manager. I spent most of it with Jason, and he showed me the ins and outs of the job. I already knew a lot of what the shift manager does, but there were still plenty of gaps. I learned about the various reports that have to be run, the end-of-shift procedures, and perhaps most importantly, how to restart the dialer when (not if) it crashes. He left at about 6:30, leaving me in charge for the last two hours or so. (It was kind of funny; Jack is the Q.A. manager and my immediate supervisor, but I was his boss tonight.)

We had a very small shift, but with some unusual jobs, so I was still a little nervous. Nevertheless, I followed the outline Jason provided, and I think I managed to get everything done that I needed to. And if not, hey, there's always next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home