All Now Mysterious...

Monday, January 02, 2006

Looking Back

At the beginning of last year, I made a List of Things I'd Like to See in 2005. It's interesting to take a look back and see how things have gone.

A diploma in December
Mission accomplished. Well, as soon as I get some fees and paperwork taken care of, anyway.

An end to the drought in Utah
I don't know if it's completely over, but we got enough rain and snow last winter that I didn't hear about The Drought every night on the news during the summer. So we'll call this a 'yes', too.

Less political whining / grandstanding and more problem-solving
Yeah, right. What was I thinking?

The Utes beat Pitt in the Fiesta Bowl
A no-brainer. Pitt (and the Big East) had no business in a BC$ bowl, and Utah beat the Panthers like the proverbial rented mule. As an added bonus, Utah also beat a heavily favored Georgia Tech team in this year's Emerald Bowl, 38-10. That's my alma mater.
(I love saying that.)

An increase my savings account balance
Yeah, maybe we'll carry that one over to this year.

Derek and Kathleen's child
Done, but only in pictures. Check out Almost Obi-Wan. I'd still like to meet him in person one day.

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Done, and I loved it. It saved the series for me.

Cars (although IMDb projects the release date as 2006)
Still waiting, though I saw a trailer last month when we went to see Narnia. Looks good.

New studio CDs from Kansas, Yes, Toto, and/or the Rocket Scientists
Come on, guys, you're killing me.

Some sort of resolution to the situation in Iraq
I knew this one was a long shot when I wrote it. They've had elections, though, so maybe that's a start.

Governor-elect Huntsman paying as much attention to education as Governor Walker has
Not really so much. Again, I knew this was a long shot.

An end to the NHL lockout
About bloody time, too!

Osama bin Laden being pulled out of a spider hole
Not yet, but soon, I hope.

Curtis and the Ogden gaming consortium on something like a weekly basis
I got to see the OGC quite a bit in 2005, and things look promising for '06. I've built several characters, and I've even got ideas for a campaign I'd like to run...

Pony, Montana
Nancy and I went up last summer and had a great time. I still need to get that film developed.

National Guard units reassigned from combat duty in Iraq to disaster relief in southern Asia
Again, not so much. Then again, who'd have thought they might come under fire in New Orleans?

Sam in a tuxedo
Still waiting. (And so is she.)

Harry Potter not acting like a complete idiot in the next book
Much better. Methinks Harry actually learned something from his godfather's untimely demise.

All of my family in the same room at Christmas
Well, I wasn't with my family for Christmas, but I saw them all together for a while on Thanksgiving weekend. I'll take that.

I count that as ten out of nineteen. Not too bad. We'll call 2005 a good year. It beat the snot out of 2004, I'll tell you that.

For this year, I've only got two things I'd really like to see:
  • My name on a high school classroom door, and
  • Nancy in white.
I'll get right to work on those. Stay tuned.

3 Comments:

  • "Nancy in white"

    Hmmmm . . . you're going to a toga party, trick or treating as ghosts, or tracking polar bears in the Arctic? My money is on the toga party. It's just too darn cold to track polar bears.

    By Blogger dilliwag, At January 02, 2006 11:27 PM  

  • Oh, and if I can talk you into going to our 20th class reunion, you'll probably be able to see Gareth TWICE this year (assuming we'll be attending a toga party before our reunion, of course). We'd sure like him to meet his middle namesake.

    By Blogger dilliwag, At January 02, 2006 11:30 PM  

  • Yeah, Nancy's not much of a cold-weather person, so tracking polar bears would be right out.

    I'll let you know when that toga party's going to be. Unfortunately, there's still some cleaning up to be done from the last one, so picking a specific date is still a bit down the road. And I still have to get that certain special party favor, too.

    By Blogger Michael, At January 03, 2006 3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home