All Now Mysterious...

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Latest Update

I received the following update from my sister-in-law a few days ago concerning my brother A.
Just a quick update on A since it has been awhile. Aaron has made progress since the doctor drained the fluid on the right side of his brain. He continues to improve physically. His attention span is greater now. He is reading for short periods of time. He has again become very social and seems to enjoy “chatting” with the other patients on his floor. It is still difficult to understand much of what he says and the doctor says that he will never have true “conversation language”.

Due to a glitch with the insurance A will be moving as soon as next week. He will go to another rehab facility where they will continue to work on his mobility and other issues. The doctor has assured me that with continued rehab he will walk again. The estimate as of right now is that A will be at the new place for about a year.

I also talked to Mom about their most recent visit. A is feeding himself now, which is pretty impressive. His mobility is also much improved. He sits up by himself and uses his legs to scoot himself around in a wheelchair. He recognizes and talks to Dad, but at present doesn't seem to recognize Mom. She thinks it might be because of her grey hair. She said she might try a temporary rinse to get closer to her 'original' color and see if that helps.

Physically, A seems to be approaching where he was before the accident. Mentally, it's still going to be a long road, and nobody knows just how far he'll be able to come back.

I think we're going back to Colorado of Christmas this year. I have no idea if my brother will recognize me when I see him again. I hope so. If not, maybe we'll just have to get to know one another all over again. If that's what it takes, I can be okay with it.

Thanks again to everyone for your continued thoughts, prayers, and positive energy.

(If you missed the first part of the story, you can read up here, here, here, and here.

2 Comments:

  • I've been wondering how he's doing. He (and family) will be in my prayers.

    By Blogger Wendy, At September 06, 2007 7:04 AM  

  • I know your brother will get back as best he can, that is all he can do, he won't be the same person he was, even with god's help he won't be the same person he was before the accident. Just open your heart and be there for him, that will do immensely for his well being and accepting how the world has changed for him. I lost sight in one eye for my comparable accident 15 yrs ago, but that opened up a window for me to see thru. I can imagine it is hard on his family and friends coping with what befell him, but it is hard on him too, Accept the fact that he is different.
    I do hope I am not lecturing on your brothers situation.

    I do know with help, he will come back.

    By Blogger Unknown, At September 06, 2007 12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home