All Now Mysterious...

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Tuesday Tunes: Week 67

From The Music Memoirs.

Word Association again! Remember give us an artist, song, band, etc. that you think of when you see these words.

TV: "It's Only a Paper Moon" by James Darren
Darren is perhaps better known to fans of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine a holodeck crooner Vic Fontaine. This song lends its title to one of that show's seventh-season episodes.

Entertainment: "Superconductor" by Rush
"Hoping you'll believe / Designing to deceive / That's entertainment"

Drive: "Drive" by Singularity
"Drifting towards the horizon / As daylight fades / The world on either side / Rushes by in a haze"

Dark: "Dark Water, Parts 1-4" by Rocket Scientists
I'd include some lyrics here, but these are all instrumentals.

Job: "Take This Job and Shove It" by Johnny Paycheck
"I'd give the shirt right off my back / If I had the guts to say / Take this job and shove it / I ain't working here no more"

Cat: "Stray Cat Strut" by Stray Cats (Brian Setzer)
"I wish I could be as carefree and wild / But I got cat class and I got cat style."

Silence: Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Bopper
Fifty years ago today, a plane crash in Iowa silenced these three promising musicians. February 3rd, 1959: The Day the Music Died.
(See the post below for more of my thoughts on the significance of this day.)


Noise: "Quietly Making Noise" by Jimmy Buffett
"Quietly making noise / Starts with kindergarten toys / Not too soft, not too loud / Just enough to draw a crowd / Quietly, quietly, quietly making noise"

Creep: "The City Sleeps" by MC 900 Foot Jesus
"I move through the town like a ghost in the rain / A dim reflection in a dark windowpane / Blackness beckons from every side / Creeping all around like an incoming tide"

Rose: "Kiss From A Rose" by Seal
I'd include some lyrics here, but it seems nobody can agree on exactly what the lyrics actually are. And Seal didn't include them in the liner notes.

3 Comments:

  • I must hear the Stray Cats today, in honor of your pick!

    And thanks for reminding us that it was 50 years ago today that the music died. I feel like playing "American Pie" now!

    By Blogger Natsthename, At February 03, 2009 8:09 AM  

  • We overlapped on Kiss From A Rose. I love that song!

    I just read a really good piece in Rolling Stone about Buddy Holly. Like Nat, I need to go put on American Pie right now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At February 03, 2009 8:21 AM  

  • Nice list - only one in commong (The Paycheck)

    By Blogger Lord Mhoram, At February 03, 2009 8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home