All Now Mysterious...

Friday, March 06, 2009

And Now For Some Good News

In the midst of all this dren I'm having to go through with my employer, I'm also trying to get things organized for student teaching in January. It's a long, complicated, and expensive process. The part of the process I'm trying to work through right now involves the paperwork for certification and licensure. Background checks, documentation, and test results are all involved.

The tests in question are the Praxis exams. (No, they have nothing to do with the exploding moon of Qo'noS.) I took the Praxis I series a few years ago while I was at the U and scored quite well. Unfortunately, I have no idea where my test results are anymore. And part of the state licensure requirements is the a passing score on the Praxis II test for my content area (Chemistry). Naturally, these things aren't freeā€”or even cheap, for that matter. The Praxis II test costs $80 to take, plus a one-time (per year, anyway) registration fee of $50. And to get a duplicate copy of my Praxis I results? Another $40. Expensive, but like they say, you have to spend money to make money.

We're fortunate that we have a pretty good tax return this year. I say 'fortunate' because when we looked at our W-2 forms, we were sure we'd owe money because of the ridiculously small amounts our respective employers withheld. A big chunk of Nancy's income last year came from waitressing (i.e., tips) and of course the restaurant didn't withhold anything on the gratuities. And the school district withheld less than $10 in federal taxes on my substitute pay for the entire year last year. (Hint: "Married, but withhold at the higher Single rate" is the way to go, I've since learned.) So we were certain we'd end up owing Uncle Sam a pretty penny. The thing that saved us was the fact that we got to take the nearly $6,000 we spent on tuition and fees as a deduction. Nice!

So our tax refund showed up in the credit union last night, and this morning I was online to register for the Praxis II. I'm scheduled to take it on April 25th, which gives me about six weeks to study for it. There were no empty seats available at the testing center in Salt Lake, though, so I'll have to drive to Ogden to take it. No biggie. It'll be nice to stroll the old Weber State campus grounds again.

With my Praxis II exam now officially scheduled (and paid for), I called the toll free number to order a duplicate copy of my Praxis I results. And this is where the good news came in. The girl I talked to noticed that I'd just scheduled the Praxis II exam. She said, "If you're not in a hurry, the results for the Praxis I will be sent along with your Praxis II results after you take the test." I was surprised, to say the least. I just had to ask to make sure I'd heard correctly. I'd get both sets of results at once? Yes, she said, they'd be sent out all together.

Forty dollars may not seem like a lot. But given all the nonsense I'm getting from work right now, an extra $40 is a lifesaver.

Somebody up there must like us. Thank you!

1 Comments:

  • Yay for paying tithing! The tax return came at the perfect time and that was so great about the $40 fee we didn't have to pay. Both huge blessings! I sure love you and I'm proud of how much you have accomplished thus far. You are an AMAZING man...the BEST husband in the whole wide world. Love you much!

    By Blogger Nancy, At March 07, 2009 12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home