All Now Mysterious...

Saturday, August 28, 2004

An Album a Year...

...for evey year of my natural life. This was the challenge thrown down by Curtis a few days ago. Standard rules apply, namely one album per artist. Here we go.

1968 - The Beatles [The White Album] by The Beatles
1969 - Chicago Transit Authority by Chicago
1970 - A Question of Balance by The Moody Blues
1971 - Poems, Prayers and Promises by John Denver
1972 - Hot August Night by Neil Diamond
1973 - Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd
1974 - A-1-A by Jimmy Buffett
1975 - Dream by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
1976 - Hotel California by The Eagles
1977 - The Grand Illusion by Styx
1978 - Don't Look Back by Boston
1979 - Evolution by Journey
1980 - High Infidelity by REO Stationwagon
1981 - The Music of Cosmos, soundtrack to the PBS series hosted by Carl Sagan
1982 - Toto IV by Toto
1983 - Synchronicity by The Police
1984 - Heartbeat City by The Cars (the first album/tape I ever bought on my own)
1985 - Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits
1986 - So by Peter Gabriel
1987 - Surfing with the Alien by Joe Satriani
1988 - Vol. 1 by the Traveling Wilburys
1989 - 1712 Overture and Other Musical Assaults by P.D.Q. Bach
1990 - Damn Yankees by Damn Yankees
1991 - Heart in Motion by Amy Grant
1992 - 1492: Conquest of Paradise by Vangelis
1993 - Much Ado About Nothing soundtrack composed by Patrick Doyle
1994 - Harley Davidson Road Songs featuring Steppenwolf, Lynyrd Skynrd, Ted Nugent, Foghat, April Wine, and about two dozen others
1995 - One Clear Voice by Peter Cetera
1996 - Arena by Asia
1997 - Calling All Stations by Genesis (one of the most underrated CDs of recent years, IMHO)
1998 - Taken by Cherie Call
1999 - Tal Bachman by Tal Bachman
2000 - Somewhere to Elsewhere by Kansas
2001 - Magnification by Yes (released, coincidentally, on September 11th)
2002 - Vapor Trails by Rush
2003 - Spirit of America by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir
2004 - Feels Like Home by Norah Jones

As Curtis said, this one was a good deal harder than the others. AllMusic.com helped a lot. I must confess that I don't personally own every single one of these albums right now. But I do have at least some music from the ones I don't own.

I would like to nominate 1976 as the year with the best albums. In addition to Hotel California, 1976 also brought us Kansas' breakthrough album Leftoverture, the eponymous debut from Boston, and Rush's epic 2112. It also would have been nice to include Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band or Days of Future Passed, but I'm not old enough (1967 for both).

I recommend that we let Derek call the next challenge. That way we'll be sure he can participate without it getting in the way of his disserting (or whatever it is that one does when wrapping up a PhD). What do you think?

2 Comments:

  • Gentlemen, I'll participate when I can. Don't hold things up on my account. My mind is so focused on my research that I question whether I'm really an occupant of my own body.

    Carry on! I enjoy reading both your blogs when I take a break.

    By Blogger dilliwag, At August 29, 2004 4:40 PM  

  • Oh, I won't hold things up. I'll still try to do things that invite participation and comments from you, Derek - just not things that require research on your part.

    By Blogger Michael, At August 29, 2004 9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home