All Now Mysterious...

Saturday, April 09, 2005

Boys Named Sioux

Many of you know that I am an ice hockey fan. My fascination with the sport began when I was in grade school, when my parents would take us down to Denver to watch the DU Pioneers hockey team. I remember being fascinated with the speed and power of the players. I recall watching games against schools I'd never heard of: Michigan Tech, Minnesota-Duluth, and of course bitter rival Colorado College.

I remember being at one game where the energy level was particularly high. A win by Denver in that game would set up a showdown the following weekend with the Fighting Sioux from the University of North Dakota. Near the end of the game, with a Pioneer victory firmly within reach, I remember seeing a large banner someone had unfurled:

Bring On the Boys Named Sioux!


I was reminded of all this while I was watching the NCAA hockey championship this evening. Denver won their second consecutive title by defeating North Dakota 4-1. It was a great game to watch, the outcome in doubt until almost the end. UND had more shots on goal, but DU's penalty killing unit was nearly perfect and their goalie was amazing - especially considering that he's a freshman. Both teams have several players that I think can look forward to a long and successful career in the NHL.

If the NHL ever comes back.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home