All Now Mysterious...

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Head Above Water

We're now at 16 days and counting until the big event. Things are moderately crazy, but so far I'm maintaining my sanity. Which is a good thing, because I don't think Nancy would be excited about being married to a madman....

--

The most immediate difficulty is wedding announcements. Nancy ordered them through a company who could get them to us quickly and at a decent price—with 'quickly' being the most important issue. They promised to have them back by Monday, so we planned to have an 'invitation party' Tuesday night to address, stamp, and otherwise get them out to the public. Except that the company called Nancy on Monday to let her know they weren't on that day's truck. Not a big deal, though, they should be in tomorrow. Except that they weren't.

So we've got just over two weeks until the event and no invitations yet. We should get them today (they say). ::crosses fingers:: So after Nancy gets through with work and I get done with my training class tonight, we'll be having a late-night envelope-stuffing extravaganza. Fortunately, I think everyone who's planning on attending the event already knows about it. All we're doing is reinforcing the particulars with the announcements.

--

I've been doing some cleaning and organizing in preparation for the move. I cleaned the bathroom yesterday, which is one of my least favorite chores. I've also been packing over the past few days. I've got most of my CDs packed (six boxes and counting), and the books and videos are next. Other than that, most of my possessions are still in boxes from the last move.

Other than the furniture. When I leave, I'm taking the TV, VCR/DVD combo, microwave, couch, LoveSac, Play Station, coffee table(s), chairs, ironing board, barbecue grill, and one of the living room lamps with me. Because they're mine. The front room is going to look pretty bare once I'm gone. In contrast, I hope there's enough room for both of our stuff in the new place.

--

Speaking of which, we got a pretty good deal on our new apartment. It's in the same ward I currently live in; our landlord is the ward executive secretary. When I announced that we were getting married, there was a big campaign by the ward the keep me/us there. The Bishop even asked us to look for something in the ward. In fact, he pointed me toward the executive secretary. So we're staying put, unless the job situation takes us out of the area.

The new landlord has been really flexible with us. They're giving us a great rental rate, and they held the property for a month for us. The new place is very roomy, bright, and clean. The only disadvantage is that it's a basement, which means low ceilings in a couple of places. I just have to learn to duck at the appropriate times.

--

Yesterday was a pain...or a series of little pains. I slipped and scuffed a couple of knuckles on the couch early in the day. Then, while wielding a pair of scissors, I managed to snip myself and left a ¼" cut on the inside of my left index finger. It's amazing how much a little cut like that can sting. And then I stubbed my little toe on my computer chair. Being a klutz can really be unpleasant sometimes.

--

I did something truly truckworthy with the Dreadnought yesterday. I helped a neighbor bring his car down from Woods Cross. When we arrived at his old place, the car was there in the driveway with most of the engine and cooling system in the trunk. He looked in vain for a tow strap, so it was a good thing I keep a sturdy nylon tow rope in my car. We got him hooked up and began the journey south. We stuck to the back roads, taking Redwood Road back into Salt Lake County and turning up 1700 South to get back to the Sugarhouse neighborhood.

It went off without a hitch (so to speak). We had one interesting moment coming down the Redwood Road viaduct over I-80 where I had to make a more sudden stop than I would have preferred, but his brakes were also up to the task. We also lost the connection on 1700 South just past State street, but we were able to get his car hooked back up with minimal difficulty. It took us about 45 minutes to make the 16.8 mile trip, which I thought was pretty good, all things considered.

As he was thanking me for my help, he made a comment about how surprised he was that things went so easily. He had been expecting real problems getting his car up the rather substantial hill on 1700 South. Though I held my tongue, I wanted to say, "Since you drive a Civic, I'll forgive your ignorance. But when you drive an American-made truck with a V8, you don't really worry much about hills."

--

We've decided not to get cable TV at the new place. It's just too expensive, and we're going to concentrate on paying off debt for the first six to twelve months. So I'm going shopping for an old-fashioned TV antenna. Imagine life with only local channels. No Star Trek reruns, no History Channel specials, no ESPN. Strange to contemplate.

--

I look around my little room, and I see more empty boxes than full ones. That means I need to get back to work. Have a great week, everyone.

1 Comments:

  • Oh, we're not going completely tubeless...we're just ditching the channels we'd have to pay for. So we may miss a few good sci-fi shows. That's why we keep you around. ;)

    By Blogger Michael, At April 07, 2006 9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home