All Now Mysterious...

Friday, November 03, 2006

My Top Five

Top Five on Friday
This week's Top 5 on Friday from The Music Memoirs

Top Five Albums That Have Had an Influence on Your Life
Now that I think about it, I really have no idea what I was thinking when I came up with this question. But I like a lot of different kinds of music, so I'll list 5 albums that have introduced me to new musical genres.


» 90125 by Yes
By time spent in listening, progressive rock is probably my favorite musical genre. And while this isn't the band's best or most progressive work, it's the one that got me listening to them. This, in turn, led to explorations of other popular progressive bands like Asia, Genesis, and Kansas. Now I'm into groups as varied as the Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Rush, Dream Theater, Rocket Scientists, Singularity, Marillion, Iluvatar, Plato's Halo, Spock's Beard, Aztec Jade/Ascension Theory...and the list goes on. All because of 90125.
Favorite Track: "Changes".



» Soul Gravy by Cross Canadian Ragweed
My second favorite musical genre, as it turns out, is alternative country. I was introduced to this musical style by my brother Sam, who knows all the bands and all the songs of the Red Dirt country scene. So on a lark, I bought this CD. I loved it. It had bite and heart and attitude and good musicianship. This opened the door for other groups like Reckless Kelly, Micky and the Motorcars, Jason Boland and the Stragglers, Robert Earl Keen, Amy Rigby, and so on.
Favorite Track: "Wanna Rock & Roll"



» The Narada Collection, Vol. 1
As a Mormon missionary, we had a rule in our area that we could only listen to instrumental or choral music—in other words, no 'mainstream' or pop music. Another missionary had this tape (yes, I owned it first as a cassette) and we listened to it as we studied. I loved it. I was already familiar with the work of Vangelis (See below), but this album really introduced me to New Age instrumental music.
Favorite Track: "Night Wind" by David Arkenstone



» Surfing with the Alien by Joe Satriani
Strangely enough, I was also introduced to this album as a missionary. It was one of those "It fits the letter of the law" sorts of things. I'd always liked the driving feel and style of hard rock, but could never stand the lyrics or the lyricists. Problem solved. This introduced me to artists like Steve Vai and Eric Johnson, as well as giving me an appreciation of great guitar work in other genres (Steve Howe, Mark Knopfler, Steve Lukather, Alex Lifeson, Al DiMeola, etc.).
Favorite Track: "Crushing Day". (Unfortunately, my CD has a scratch right across the middle of this track. Maybe I'll put it on my Christmas wish list....)



» The Music of Cosmos
I've owned this album on five different occasions and in three different formats (LP, cassette, CD). And the version I now own isn't even in print anymore; my friend Curtis ordered it for me online from a store in South Africa a few years back. That version has been replaced by an extended, 2-disc version that is also now out of print.

As musical gateways go, this is the big one. This album introduced me to electronic music and expanded my appreciation for different styles of classical music. As a result of owning this album, I also now own works by Vangelis, Shostakovich, Hovhaness, Rimsky-Korsakov, and Tomita, among others. I probably listen to it at least once a month on average. It's my favorite CD of all time. I fear for the day when I have to replace it again, because I have no idea where I'll find another copy.
Favorite Track: "The Sea Named Solaris" by J.S. Bach/Isao Tomita

2 Comments:

  • That was the first Yes album I heard and then Big Generator. I fixed my typo on your name. I don't know why I do that with Michael. I was having an Episode of Blonde.

    Thanks for the topic...I'll be getting around to your other suggestions too :)

    By Blogger The Mistress of the Dark, At November 03, 2006 9:03 AM  

  • Great choices. That was the album that got me into Yes all those years ago. Nice job on the others too. It almost makes me overlook your previous post...almost.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At November 03, 2006 3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home