All Now Mysterious...

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

In Absentia

Last night we celebrated my father-in-law's birthday. All the local family members got together at the new theaters at The District and watched The Work and the Glory III: A House Divided. Afterwards, we met in the food court/arcade area and snacked and chatted. Nancy, her sisters, and her niece played Dance Dance Revolution, and Nancy and I played HydroThunder. All in all it was a good evening.

Notably absent from the festivities was the guest of honor, Nancy's father Roger. He died about two years ago.

Nancy, her brother, and his then-fiancé moved back to Utah from Kentucky just before Christmas of 2004. Nancy just felt like it was time to come hone, she said. That following spring, Roger had a massive stroke. When they went in to look at the damage, the doctors found widespread tumors in his brain. He died less than two weeks later.

Nancy and I met the following Fourth of July, about three months after all of this took place. So I've never met Roger.

I've been told that I'm actually quite a bit like him. He was a convert to the LDS Church, growing up in a rural area far from the Salt Lake valley. He had quite an offbeat sense of humor, specializing in puns and cheesy one-liners. In fact, when telling jokes around the family, I've often heard people say, "Yeah, that's a Roger joke." We even have a passing physical resemblance, or at least some people say so. Personally, I don't see it. And I've been told that we have similar personalities and character traits.

I'm always a little humbled when I hear things like this. His family loved him dearly. More than that, they respected him and honored him. That's pretty heady company to be in.

I really wish I'd been able to meet him. Joseph Smith taught that "[T]hat same sociality which exists among us here will exist among us there, only it will be coupled with eternal glory, which glory we do not now enjoy." (Doctrine and Covenants 130:2) So one day, once I've shuffled off this mortal coil, I expect I will get to meet him. I look forward to that day. For now, I'm grateful for the wonderful family he left behind--especially Nancy.

I wonder if Granny and Roger have met yet?

2 Comments:

  • That was just cool. Thanks for sharing.

    By Blogger Lord Mhoram, At January 24, 2007 10:18 AM  

  • Two similarities you and my Dad share that you forgot to mention was your sincere, good heart and that you are a man of integrity. You are such a good man. I knew that from the day I met you. That is what I love most about you.

    I know my Dad already knows you and that he helped to bring us together. I can't wait for the day when we can all sit around and listen to you and my Dad tell jokes and make us all laugh. Sounds like Heaven to me!

    I love you!

    Nancy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At January 24, 2007 4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home