All Now Mysterious...

Friday, March 09, 2007

Rude Awakenings

I've had substitute teaching assignments on three days this week: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Tuesday's assignment was only for half a day, starting at 11:00 a.m., so that was no big deal. But I had some trouble getting up for the other two days. Not like me at all, really--I'm usually up pretty early, whether I wish to be or not.

Wednesday morning gave me quite a shock. Knowing that I needed to be out the door by 7:10 or so to get to school on time, I set my alarm for 6:20. That'd give me plenty of time to shave, shower, have a bite to eat, and generally get ready for the day. Imagine my surprise, then, when I woke up to the chirping of my wife's alarm--at 7:00. My subconscious mind apparently understood instantly the significance of that sound, because I was bolt-upright and wide awake in mere seconds, saying something moderately unsavory as I arose. Nancy got a laugh out of it; she said it's one of the few times she's ever heard me swear. After a very quick shower and Nancy gathering an impromptu breakfast for me, I was dressed and out the door by 7:15. That's got to be some kind of record. Fortunately, traffic was good and I got to the school just in time. Unpleasantness averted--except for the unpleasantness of 5th period, which is a whole different kettle o' fish.

When I got home Wednesday afternoon, naturally I took a look at my alarm clock to see why I'd overslept. It turns out that I had, in fact, set the alarm. I just hadn't turned it on. Oops. Best not to make that mistake again. So long before going to bed Wednesday night, I made sure A) that my alarm was set for 6:00 and B) that it was actually turned on. Problem solved.

So Thursday morning rolled around, and I woke up an looked at my alarm clock. It read 6:24. What...? Okay, so it wasn't as big an issue this time, but I still had less time to get up and get ready than I'd hoped for. I got in a quick shave (since I'd skipped that part Wednesday morning--can't look too scruffy for the administrators you may one day be asking for a job!) and a shower, then gathered some food, supplies for school, and my Ogden gaming bag. I didn't get the sit-down breakfast I'd hoped for, but I was still on the road by 7:05, which got me to school with time to spare.

So what happened this time? Yes, the alarm was turned on, and yes, the alarm was set for 6:00. The problem? It was set for 6:00 p.m.. Oh brother.

The good news is that I'm not teaching on Friday, so I don't have to worry about getting up early. I just have to be awake in time to go to lunch with Nancy for her birthday. Even if I can't seem to set a simple alarm clock these days, I think I can wake up before lunch.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home