All Now Mysterious...

Friday, March 02, 2007

Years Too Late

I took a Biochemistry class in the fall of 2004. I really enjoyed it—so much that I ended up taking it again the following semester. One of the things I particularly enjoyed about the class was the textbook: Fundamentals of Biochemistry by Donald Voet, Judith G. Voet, and Charlotte W. Pratt. Back in those days, I tried to make it a point to buy as many of my textbooks online as possible. I usually saved about 30-40% by doing so. As I recall, this particular text was selling for ~$90 in the U of U Book$tore, but I got it online for about $60.

When it became obvious that I was going to need to retake the class, I was dismayed to learn that while it was being offered the following semester, it was being taught by the Biology department instead of the Chemistry department...which meant they'd be using a different book. So rather than take by book to the Bookstore, I sold it online, getting around $45 for it (which is about twice what the Bookstore would have given me). I didn't care much for the book the Biology department used for the class the following semester, so I ended up selling that one, too. I kind of regretted that I didn't keep a BioChem book, for reference if nothing else. But, like most college students, I was in greater need of the money at the time.

Fast forward to yesterday. Every so often I like to go into the local Deseret Industries store and look through the used books they have on the shelves. And what do you suppose I found yesterday when I was there? That's right, Fundamentals of Biochemistry by Voet, Voet, and Pratt. The pages were a little waterlogged, but still fully functional. The CD that came with the new book was even still in it.

The price? $3.00.

If only I'd had that option two and a half years ago....

1 Comments:

  • I kept my copy of Lehninger, published in 1975. In it, the authors explained that genetic engineering was 50 years or so down the road! The book was published the same year Paul Berg published the first recombinant experiments!

    I had to keep it!

    I'd probably be lost with the new books....

    Rob of UnSpace

    By Blogger Rob Carr, At March 02, 2007 5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home