All Now Mysterious...

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Ironic

This story ran in the Dallas Morning News. You may have seen it, as I did, on Fark.com.

Nobel laureate calls for removal of Bush

Okay, nothing particularly newsworthy there; everybody seems to be calling for Bush's removal nowadays. What I found interesting was the beginning of the third paragraph of the story. I've also included the first two, just to give some context:
Nobel Peace Prize winner Betty Williams came from Ireland to Texas to declare that President Bush should be impeached.

In a keynote speech at the International Women's Peace Conference on Wednesday night, Ms. Williams told a crowd of about 1,000 that the Bush administration has been treacherous and wrong and acted unconstitutionally.

"Right now, I could kill George Bush," she said at the Adam's Mark Hotel and Conference Center in Dallas. "No, I don't mean that. How could you nonviolently kill somebody? I would love to be able to do that."

So, how is that whole non-violence thing working out for you, Ms. Williams?

6 Comments:

  • I'd say the nonviolence thing is working well for her. She spoke figuratively and never engaged in the violent action. I'm committed to nonviolence and I've made similar statements. About a million times.

    And many of the Farkers need to study up on Secret Service procedure. Someone needs to make a credible threat against the President before they receive a visit from the Bush SS. This is clearly not a credible threat, but someone who's very, very angry. I'm right there with her.

    By Blogger dilliwag, At July 12, 2007 2:15 PM  

  • To quote Bugs Bunny:
    Whata Maroon.

    By Blogger Lord Mhoram, At July 12, 2007 2:55 PM  

  • I guess I was just surprised to hear a self-described advocate of non-violence express such an fervent desire to kill someone...even if she didn't act on it. I don't expect 'pacifists' to express the desire for the death of another human being.

    To me, it's like hearing the Dalai Lama say, "I pray for peace in the Middle East, but man, it'd be a lot easier if someone whacked a few of those Islamic zealots first."

    By Blogger Michael, At July 12, 2007 4:33 PM  

  • Well, the Dalai Lama is clearly a better man than I. But I think we already knew that, eh? ;)

    By Blogger dilliwag, At July 12, 2007 7:14 PM  

  • Dilliwag, that may be (dunno), but I'm sure you are much more knowledgeable about coffee. :)

    By Blogger Lord Mhoram, At July 12, 2007 9:54 PM  

  • I'd think tea might be more the Dalai Lama's thing. Don't know why, but it sounds right.

    As for the Farkers, I never actually read the discussion threads anymore, just the stories. Reading their comments generally makes me think of the old bit about "We used to think that a million monkeys sitting at a million typewriters could eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is untrue."

    By Blogger Michael, At July 14, 2007 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home