All Now Mysterious...

Friday, March 14, 2008

Pi Day Memes

Today (3/14) is Pi Day. Happy Pi Day, everyone!

Part I:
Feast One Hundred & Eighty Three from Friday's Feast

Appetizer On a scale of 1-10 (with 10 as highest), how much do you like your own handwriting?
7. It's legible, but I don't write very quickly. When I try, the legibility goes right out the window.

Soup Do you prefer baths or showers?
Yes. Showers to get clean, baths to relax.

Salad What was the last bad movie you watched?
Dark Star. Yes, I know, it was John Carpenter's college film, and he didn't have a budget. But it's clearly a beach ball!

Main Course Name something you are addicted to and describe how it affects your life.
I eat too much fast food. It's expensive, and I know it's not good for me. But it's not an addiction. I can stop any time I want to.

Dessert Which instrument is your favorite to listen to?
If I had to pick just one, I think I'd have to say the cello. It has a rich, warm tone unmatched by any other instrument. But I prefer groups of instruments (and voices, too) to just one. I'd almost always rather listen to a symphony than a sonata.

--

Part II:
Top 5 On Friday - Week 166 from The Music Memoirs

Top 5 songs from the 60's
Wow, it's like they've been reading my blog lately or something....

» "And Your Bird Can Sing" by The Beatles (from the album Revolver)
Any serious discussion of the great songs of the 60's--or any era, for that matter--has to start with the Beatles. This one is my current favorite.

» "Wouldn't It Be Nice" by The Beach Boys (from the album Pet Sounds)
You might think of the Beach Boys as Salieri to the Beatles' Mozart; the two groups will always be linked. I consider this the group's best song from their best album.

» "Beginnings" by Chicago (from the album The Chicago Transit Authority)
Say what you will about the Peter Cetera/Jason Scheff era Chicago of the 80's and 90's. In the beginning, Chicago was a rock band with serious jazz and R&B clout--as their 1969 debut shows. Check out the horn and percussion sections in this track.

» "Thunderball" by Tom Jones (from the album Thunderball)
A musical discussion of the 60's also has to include at least one James Bond song. Tom Jones gets the nod.

» "Nights in White Satin" by The Moody Blues (from the album Days of Future Passed)
This song wasn't fully appreciated when first released in 1967; it's moment in the sun had to wait for a re-release in 1972. One of the most lush and lyrically beautiful songs of the era.

4 Comments:

  • I'm in LOVE with every one of your picks and your reasons, why! Great list! It was soooo hard to narrow down the 60's into 5 representative songs but I enjoy your take.

    I totally missed Chicago as a 60's band but I do LOVE the early material(more than the 80's stuff).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At March 14, 2008 11:02 AM  

  • Pi day? Who knew...Great feast! I like the cello too.

    By Blogger Mitchypoo, At March 14, 2008 12:09 PM  

  • Ahhhh "Wouldn't It Be Nice"!!! The Beach Boys FTW!

    And I've been loving seeing which Beatles tunes end up on everyone's lists since the band seems to be a pre requisite addition.

    By Blogger Polly, At March 14, 2008 5:07 PM  

  • Happy Pi Day to you too.

    And Your Bird Can Sing is another favorite of mine too :) I think you know my feelings on Nights :) It is spectacular live though.

    By Blogger The Mistress of the Dark, At March 14, 2008 6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home