All Now Mysterious...

Monday, March 23, 2009

And...We're Back!

So I was supposed to start a long-term substituting assignment this morning. A chemistry teacher at one of the nearby high schools was going on six weeks' maternity leave starting over the weekend, and I was going to cover her classes while she was out. Six weeks of guaranteed work, doing what I'm best qualified to do—I was excited.

We got home last night from the dedication of the Draper Temple and found that with the rain and snow, our power was out. So we made our way to my mother-in-law's house, taking dinner with us to cook. On our way there, I got a phone call from the teacher in question saying that she hadn't gone into labor yet. She couldn't afford to take days off until she was actually having her baby, so the assignment was off, at least for the time being. She did say that she was scheduled to visit her doctor on Tuesday, and that it was likely her doctor would induce labor Tuesday night because she's already overdue. So the delay would probably only be for a couple of days.

So, with an unexpected Monday off for me, we stayed at Nancy's mom's house pretty late last night. We watched videos and played games with her family, including her youngest brother's significant other. We had a longer than usual drive home due to snow and slick roads, but we made it safely. We ended up getting home around 11:30 and in bed around 12:30.

I usually turn my phone to Silent when I turn in for the night. Last night, I intentionally left it on. Just in case.

Sure enough, my phone rang at 7:02 this morning, and it was the teacher. She was calling from the hospital. The job is back on. I'm leaving for school in just a few minutes.

Good thing her schedule today starts with a consultation period!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home