All Now Mysterious...

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Big Scary Test Results

Regular readers may remember that I had a Big Scary Test about a month ago. It was the Praxis II Chemistry Content Knowledge test. It's a standardized test designed to demonstrate to my school (and to any potential employers) that I actually know something about chemistry. At the time that I took it, I wrote the following:

"Anyway, I took the Praxis II last Saturday. And I did well. I won’t know exactly how well for approximately four weeks, but I felt very confident about the outcome when I left the test room."

Well, I got the results back yesterday, and here's how I actually did:

Possible Score Range: 100-200
Average Performance Range: 149-175
Required Passing Score: 151

My Score: 192

Listed on the score sheet next to my score was the letter E. So I looked at the bottom of the page and found this note: "E = Your score on this test qualifies for ETS recognition of excellence!"

Needless to say, I am quite pleased with this outcome. I was a little afraid to say this before now, for fear that I'd jinx it somehow. But now that I have the results in hand, I can say it confidently: I nailed it.

The score sheet also had results broken down by category. I found these particularly interesting.

I: Matter and Energy; Heat, Thermodynamics, and Thermochemistry 12/15 (80%)
II: Atomic and Nuclear Structure 10/10 (100%)
III: Nomenclature; The Mole, Bonding, and Geometry 14/14 (100%)
IV: Chemical Periodicity; Chemical Reactions; Bio/Organic Chemistry 20/23 (87%)
V: Solutions and Solubility; Acid-Base Chemistry 10/12 (83%)
VI: Scientific Methodology; Science, Technology, and Society 11/11 (100%)
VII: Math/Measurement/Data Manipulation; Laboratory Process and Safety 10/14 (71%)

Result VII was a little disappointing. If this test was like my previous experiences, I probably lost points on Significant Figures. I'd better take a look at that.

In the aforementioned blog entry from test time, I also wrote the following:

"Teaching these classes for the past month or so was the best test preparation I could ever have hoped for....I call it a blessing."

And it's true. Had I not been teaching Chemistry for a solid month before taking this test, would I have done as well as I did? Not a chance. Absolutely no way at all. That teaching assignment came exactly when I needed it. It was truly a blessing.

Thank You, again.

5 Comments:

  • Wow! Congratulations! We need people who know chemistry teaching the scientists of tomorrow. I had chemistry teachers in high school who were clueless and one who was excellent. It was he who motivated me to pursue a career in chemistry.

    By Blogger Matt, At May 28, 2009 11:32 AM  

  • Nicely done.

    By Blogger Lord Mhoram, At May 28, 2009 1:31 PM  

  • Yay! I'm so proud of you, honey. You are S-M-R-T! You are so smart! Congrats again. I'm glad all went well. Love you much!

    By Blogger Nancy, At May 28, 2009 2:27 PM  

  • Big congratualtions Michael. I knew you could do it.

    An old friend.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At May 29, 2009 7:49 AM  

  • Dude, that's awesome!!!! I probably would've gotten a 25 and that's on a good day :) We're so happy for you guys! Now run and teach the world about pv=nrt's :)

    By Blogger Nikki A., At May 29, 2009 9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home