All Now Mysterious...

Monday, November 30, 2020

Reflections upon Discovery

 I am now completely up to date on Star Trek: Discovery. A few thoughts:

* The first season was darker, more intense, and frankly harder to watch than anything else bearing the Star Trek name, before or since. But it was so well done that I couldn't not finish it.

 

* Season two lost a lot of the darkness, but none of the intensity. The integration of Spock and Pike into the story was handled very well. And after watching the whole season, I have to say I was impressed at how they tied the whole season into a complete, logically consistent single story. Every detail was accounted for, and that's not easy to do.

 

* Season three actually feels like Star Trek. That's a good thing.

 

* I feel like the whole mycelial network / spore drive thing is just an attempt by the show's producers to placate all their fans who were life science majors in college.

 

* Captain Lorca was a complicated and nuanced character, and Jason Isaacs knocked it out of the park with his portrayal.

 

* Captain Pike is probably my third favorite Trek Captain, behind Picard and Sisco and just half a hair ahead of Kirk. He's the guy who should be on Starfleet's recruiting posters.

 

* I initially had misgivings about Michael Burnham. But she is as solid and interesting a character as the franchise has ever produced.

 

* I could really have done without the graphic portrayal of the Voq → Tyler transformation.

 

* Michelle Yeoh pretty much steals every single scene she's in, especially in the third season.

 

* Stamets and Reno might be my favorite Vitriolic Best Buddies since Londo and G'Kar.

 

* I'm glad Dr. Culver wasn't dead permanently.

 

* I'm glad Detmer is getting help. And I'm glad Control didn't kill her like it did Airiam.

 

* Tilly makes my heart happy.

 

* I really like Saru's character arc. The transformation from 'prey' to 'badass leader' has been remarkable.

 

* Oded Fehr as the chief Admiral of Starfleet is just about the most impressive thing ever.

 

* This series is parsecs better than Picard.

 

 Now I just have to wait for the next episode...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home