All Now Mysterious...

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

I Don't Think That Word Means What You Think It Means

I don't know how it came up, but last night I was talking to one of our interviewers and used the word 'lugubrious'. One of the other interviewers overheard us and asked, "What does that mean?" I thought for a second before answering (always a good move, I've learned) and said, "You know, I think I know what it means, but I'm not certain. Let me look it up and make sure."

Good thing, too. I thought it meant 'fearsome and/or repulsive'. Wrong. According to Merriam-Webster Online, it actually means:

1 : MOURNFUL; especially : exaggeratedly or affectedly mournful
2 : DISMAL

I think I first heard this word as part of the Disney Hercules animated feature. I misinterpreted the meaning based strictly on the context in which it was used. That trick almost always works, but it's best to check, I suppose.

By the way, Derek, is this a word you can use in your dissertation?

2 Comments:

  • I'm taking this as something of a challenge. You can expect lugubrious to appear somewhere in the great tome! If you're lucky, I'll work in a footnote indicating your involvement. You'll be immortalized forever!

    By Blogger dilliwag, At September 14, 2004 2:36 PM  

  • Oh, stop already. You're going to make me blush. :-)
    Wow, a possible footnote in Derek's dissertation ... I don't think I've ever been quoted in a scholarly work before. Cool!

    By Blogger Michael, At September 14, 2004 10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home