All Now Mysterious...

Saturday, September 11, 2004

Annoyance

It is, of course, well documented that one of the Democratic Party's biggest criticisms of the Bush administration is that it has used September 11th to further its own cause. Fine, I can see the argument.

My designated default page in Internet Explorer (which, as Derek suggests, sucks) is The Daily Humorscope. So I get home from work today, pull up my browser, and find myself faced with listings/advertisements for five different books, all of which - surprise! - criticize the Bush administration.

Who's the opportunist now?

I found the hypocrisy lamentable, so I left the author a note telling him I'd prefer that he stuck with humor. Now I just have to designate a new default page. Any recommendations?

3 Comments:

  • I'm changing my default page to The Daily Humorscope ASAP. I like the way the author thinks. I'll spare everyone the dissertation regarding the difference between criticizing an administration and exploiting a tragedy ;)

    Why not switch your default page to CNN.com, Yahoo news, or another news site? That's what I have as my default.

    By Blogger dilliwag, At September 12, 2004 12:20 AM  

  • Good comments as usual, gents. To address: first, Curtis, I don't want my own site as my default page. I get bored of my own writing rather quickly.

    Second, Derek, I will address the difference to which you referred - at lease as it exists in my own mind. If the author of the page - whose work I generally find quite entertaining, by the way - wants to criticize the Bush administration, that's fine. I don't object to that. He can put whatever ads he wants up on his page, whenever he wants. He's always had ads and/or sponsors' links on his page, although they're usually presented after the main content of the page. If he had put those ads up on any day other than September 11th and on some location other than top-center, I wouldn't find it objectionable (I'd probably still find it annoying, but that's not the same).

    In other words, it's not the message to which I object, it's the timing and the presentation. Yes, if he wants to be in my face about his political beliefs, he can certainly do so. But to do it on September 11th is tacky, insensitive, and exploitative. It is to say that one side shouldn't use a national tragedy to further its own goals and ideology, but the other side can. And that's a double standard.

    In my humble opinion, of course.

    By Blogger Michael, At September 12, 2004 8:14 AM  

  • In my dissertation induced haze (I spent the vast majority of the weekend writing), I totally missed the fact that the author of the site posted the books on 9/11--even though you point it out in your post. Fie upon it! About my brain! Yesterday should have been a day of non-partisan reflection.

    By Blogger dilliwag, At September 12, 2004 5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home