All Now Mysterious...

Friday, December 10, 2004

Do You Hear What I Hear?

I originally found this fun little music meme at Miw's Musings.

Step 1: Get your playlist together, put it on random, and play.
Step 2: Pick your favorite lines from the first 25 songs that play. (Skipping instrumentals, obviously.)
Step 3: Post and let everyone you know guess what song the lines come from.
Step 4: Cross out (or otherwise identify) the songs when someone guesses correctly.


So here's my playlist. Some of them are pretty obvious, while some will be a little obscure. Good luck, faithful reader(s)!

1. And our friends are all aboard / Many more of them live next door / And the band begins to play
The Beatles, Yellow Submarine

2. Would you be remembering me? / I ask that question time and again / The answer came and haunted me so / I would not want to think it again / No, I would not want to think it again
Jimmy Buffett, Coast of Marseilles

3. Everyone's got their own opinion / And protects their own dominion / No doubt for them it's true / But I tell them what I really believe / My only worry is protecting you
Harry Connick Jr., (I Could Only) Whisper Your Name

4. Howdy Doodie / Tutti Fruity / The seam up the back of her hose
The Statler Brothers, Do You Remember These

5. It's a nice day to start again
Billy Idol, White Wedding

6. Blackness beckons from every side / Creeping all around like an incoming tide
MC 900 Foot Jesus, The City Sleeps

7. You're looking good / Just like a snake in the grass
Electric Light Orchestra (ELO), Don't Bring Me Down

8. Everybody get on board / You can't get a Cadillac from the Lord
Royal Crown Revue, Watts Local

9. If you choose not to decide / You still have made a choice
Rush, Freewill

10. I was a high school loser / Never made it with the ladies
Aerosmith (w/ Run DMC), Walk This Way

11. I want to be inside your heart / I want to love forever / I want to be inside your heart / I want to know you're with me

12. If we share / This nightmare / We can dream / Spiritus mundi
The Police, Synchronicity I

13. Once the rockets are up / Who cares where they come down? / That's not my department
Tom Lehrer, Wernher Von Braun

14. I don't think you unworthy / I need a moment to deliberate
Alanis Morissette, Uninvited

15. You want me to forget / Pretend we've never met / And I've tried and I've tried / But I haven't yet
Patsy Cline, I Fall to Pieces

16. This little piggy is outta here, baby!
Dnash, No Peace [The song is based on Animal Farm. -Ed.]

17. Like the sun through the trees you came to love me / Like a leaf on a breeze you blew away
Justin Hayward (of the Moody Blues), Forever Autumn

18. You remain / My power, my pleasure, my pain
Seal, Kiss from a Rose

19. Have there been times to laugh / Times you really want to cry / Finding reasons to believe her / 'Cause you'd die a little if she lied
Peter Cetera, Have You Ever Been in Love

20. United States, Canada, Mexico, Panama, Haiti, Jamaica, Peru
Animaniacs, Yakko's World (a.k.a. The Nations of the World)

21. And the head coach / Wants no sissies / So he reads to us from something called 'Ulysses'
Allan Sherman, Hello Mudduh, Hello Fadduh! (A Letter from Camp)

22. Got the morning paper and the headlines read / Danger to the Queen
Toto, Stranger in Town

23. Bid my blood to run / Before I come undone
Evanscence, Bring Me to Life

24. And from the wreckage I will arise / And cast the ashes back in their eyes
Asia, Sole Survivor

25. You ain't exactly gonna be prancing around in the moonlight with a cane and a top hat
Mark Knopfler, Quality Shoe

Great work, everyone! No-prizes all around!

22 Comments:

  • Hi there - this is Miw from Miw's Musings. I actually recognize a few of your songs off the top of my head.

    #1. Yellow Submarine, the Beatles.
    #5. White Wedding, Billy Idol
    #10. Walk This Way, Aerosmith (not sure on this one)
    #18. Kiss From a Rose Seal (I *love* this song!)

    The nice thing about posting first is that you get all the easy ones. *grin*

    ~l

    By Blogger Linda ., At December 11, 2004 1:44 AM  

  • #20 Nations of the World, Animaniacs (Yakko, specifically)
    #23 Bring Me To Life, Evanescense (not sure on the spelling, but you get the idea)

    By Blogger Your Host, At December 11, 2004 7:50 AM  

  • I got nothin.

    By Blogger dilliwag, At December 11, 2004 10:39 AM  

  • Derek, my friend...nothing? One of those songs is a Yes song, from an album you told me you wore out on tape twice before buying the CD. Good luck.

    By Blogger Michael, At December 11, 2004 11:42 AM  

  • Nicely done, Linda. And thanks for the inspiration.

    Congrats to you as well, Tiffany. Why am I not surprised that the Animaniacs reference was figured out by someone with three children under 10?

    By Blogger Michael, At December 11, 2004 11:57 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Linda ., At December 11, 2004 1:19 PM  

  • (removed the earlier post because the formatting stunk)

    Ok, now you have me started. After some more soul (and a little google) searching, I found:

    #7 - ELO (Electric Light Orchestra) Don't Bring Me Down;

    #12 - Police (Sting) Synchronicity

    #17 - Moody Blues Forever Autumn

    #25 - Mark Knopfler Quality Shoe

    I didn't list any of the songs that I didn't know - but I like your "humor" collection. *grin*

    By Blogger Linda ., At December 11, 2004 1:23 PM  

  • Michael, I have been a connoisseur of Animaniacs since it first aired.......not because I have children.

    And pay no attention to the Animaniacs sheet music on top of my piano.....

    By Blogger Your Host, At December 11, 2004 2:06 PM  

  • After that hint, I knew exactly which album and identified the lyrics. If nobody else gets the song, I'll post.

    I'm terrible at lyrics from days of yore ::hangs head::

    By Blogger dilliwag, At December 11, 2004 3:22 PM  

  • Derek, go ahead and post it. You've earned it! It's because of you that I have any music from Yes in the first place.

    Tiffany, I am also a longtime Animaniacs fan, and I have no children at all (that I'm aware of, anyway....). And that leaves me with just one question:

    Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

    By Blogger Michael, At December 11, 2004 4:03 PM  

  • Okay, that's eleven songs correctly identified (including Derek's) in less than 24 hours. Brilliant!

    Any guesses as to which song will be the last one correctly identified?

    By Blogger Michael, At December 11, 2004 4:09 PM  

  • I think so, Brain, but this time you get to put the rubber pants on the chimp.

    By Blogger Your Host, At December 11, 2004 4:24 PM  

  • Nicely done, Curtis. We may just get this thing finished yet.

    I'm going to need you for #16, I think. I know that you, at least, have heard this song, because you introduced me to it. But I doubt that anyone else will be able to get it, even with a Google search.

    By Blogger Michael, At December 13, 2004 11:05 AM  

  • #16 - Alanis Morissette, "Uninvited"

    By Blogger Kier, At December 13, 2004 11:11 AM  

  • sorry! mean #14!

    By Blogger Kier, At December 13, 2004 11:12 AM  

  • Sorry for the stress, Curtis. But like I said, I don't think anyone else was going to get it.

    I can see how Connick would come to mind, given a line like that. I don't suppose that it'll bring any peace to your mind to know that one of the remaining unidentified songs is a Connick song....

    By Blogger Michael, At December 14, 2004 7:37 AM  

  • #3- "She", Harry Connick Jr.

    By Blogger Your Host, At December 15, 2004 9:26 AM  

  • #3 is a Harry Connick Jr. song, but it's not She. Close.

    By Blogger Michael, At December 15, 2004 11:37 AM  

  • At least it's from She! :)
    The song is "Whisper Your Name".

    By Blogger Your Host, At December 15, 2004 10:15 PM  

  • Ah, I see the nature of the difficulty. I actually got song #3 from the soundtrack to The Mask, not from the original album, hence I didn't recognize the album name. It all makes sense now.

    Okay, twenty down, five to go - or four, if we take into account that Derek still hasn't identified the one he knows about (as identified in an earlier comment). Should I post a couple of hints, perchance?

    By Blogger Michael, At December 16, 2004 8:21 AM  

  • And Derek knows #11, so I'll finish it with #8 and #19:

    8) Royal Crown Revue, Watts Local
    19) Peter Cetera, Have You Ever Been in Love

    By Blogger Michael, At December 16, 2004 1:53 PM  

  • #11 is "I Am Waiting" by Yes from their Talk record.

    By Anonymous Tim, At August 12, 2010 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home