All Now Mysterious...

Friday, December 31, 2004

Ring Out, Wild Bells

Ring out, wild bells, to the wild sky
 The flying cloud, the frosty light.
 The year is dying in the night;
Ring out, wild bells, and let him die.


I'm with you on that one, Mr. Tennyson. 2004 was a memorable year for me, and not for particularly good reasons. Let it die, and let's get on with the new year.

Upon reflection, I realize that:

On January 1st, I was happily married.
Today I'm back to being single.

On January 1st, I had a solid graduation date and a career teaching high school science in sight.
Today the fate of my academic career is in the hands of the appeals board in the bureaucracy that is the financial aid department.

On January 1st, I was financially secure.
Today I'm struggling to make ends meet with a part-time job, and I can't effectively investigate other employment options until I know what my school status is going to be.

On January 1st, everyone in my family was getting along just fine.
Today I have to be careful what I say about who to whom in the family or risk getting caught in the middle of a stupid argument.

On January 1st, I knew who I was and what my place in the world was.
Today I'm rediscovering and reinventing my identity.

Other than that, I suppose the year hasn't been too bad.* I got to see a lot of my family, even if they weren't all together. I did get to see the nieces more than I have in the previous couple of years. I discovered a much more scenic route back to Colorado than I'm used to driving. I've reconnected with Curtis and Derek, and I'm closer to my brother Aaron than I've ever been. I got a promotion at work. And I've met some new friends.

Okay, so maybe the year wasn't a complete waste after all. But it's still good to have a chance to move on. Here's to a better 2005.

--

* Which is a little like saying, "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home