All Now Mysterious...

Saturday, December 18, 2004

Hazy Shade of Winter

"The fog comes on little cat feet," or so Carl Sandburg tells us. The cat that brought in tonight's fog must have been an arctic lynx. It's chilly out there. (Having a permanent inversion layer doesn't help, I suppose.)

I fired up the Dreadnought and drove down to the Salt Lake City main library to pick up a couple of books for next week's trip to Colorado. Eight and a half hours each way on the road across southern Wyoming is a long time. At least someone else will be driving this time. Go Greyhound!

I got two books for the trip. One is Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass, the first book in his trilogy, His Dark Materials. The series is on my Christmas list, so there's a chance I'll actually own it in a week. But I've felt the urge to start reading it again for the last couple of weeks. As far as I could tell, I got the last available copy in the SLC library system. Sorry if that causes trouble for anyone out there.

The other book is Animal Farm. I was reminded by the music thing a few days ago (#16, No Peace by Dnash) that although I've seen it dramatized and heard a lot about it, I've never actually read it. I'll give it a shot. It may end up like Moby Dick, where I get bored and give up halfway through, resolving to try again in five or ten years. We'll see.

I was a little troubled at how long it took me to find the two books. In each case, I looked up the title on the library terminal and jotted down the call number and floor. Also in each case, I ended up looking in entirely the wrong area once I got to the right floor, and had to ask for help. Then I felt silly for not finding it myself. Conclusion: I need to visit the library more often.

I also have the BBC production of The Lord of the Rings on CD, thanks to a Christmas gift from the folks a couple of years ago. Over the last couple of weeks, I've converted the entire 13-disk set to mp3 format and put the whole thing onto a single CD. So now I can listen to the whole saga on my CD player, which is also mp3 capable. Ah, the wonders of technology.

Okay, that's enough adventure for one day. (Sad, isn't it?) There's something important I'm supposed to do this evening. Once I've finished with the dishes, I hope I've remembered what it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home