All Now Mysterious...

Monday, February 21, 2005

Course Corrections

I heard once that if an airplane flying from Los Angeles to New York were off course by 1ยบ, it would miss the city by 50 miles. (It's true, I checked the math.) So in order to avoid a big detour at the end of the trip, the plane's computers make small adjustments to the flight plan along the way.

Over the last few days, I've received several reminders of the importance of making occasional course corrections along the road of life's journey.

We had Stake Conference a week ago. In our Sunday morning meeting, we were given a list of Milestones in Discipleship. There were a total of 23 of these milestones, although some of them impressed me more than others.

  • Learn of the character of God.
  • Be not weary in well doing.
  • Make regular, forward progress toward desirable goals.
  • Give frequent, deserved, specific praise.
  • Endure with grace the things that don't seem to go right.
  • Notice and help those who bear crosses heavier than mine.
  • Hold on and carry on with good cheer.
  • Remember that I am charged with special duties and discipline.
  • Reject mediocre and poor performance.
  • Flee the circumstances of sin without embarrassment.
  • Refuse to despair.
  • Refuse to become bitter.
  • Repent and improve.


Then, yesterday in church, one of our lessons was on the subject of repentance. We are often taught in the Church the 'steps of repentance'. Our instructor took a slightly different approach. Drawing on a talk from Elder Richard G. Scott, he taught us the 'elements of repentance'. All the elements need to be in place; you can't just say "I've done this step" and move on.

  • Sorrow: a sincere desire for change and a willingness to do anything that is required to change.
  • Abandonment: an unyielding, permanent resolve not to repeat a transgression.
  • Confession: confession to the Lord in prayer, confession to the person(s) you've wronged, and confession to the Church if necessary.
  • Restitution: as much as lies in your power, making right what was wrong.
  • Obedience: doing what you know to be right makes it easier to avoid doing what you know to be wrong.
  • Recognition of the Savior: repentance requires not only turning away from evil, but turning toward God.


Finally, in a conversation with a close friend last night, I came to understand - or maybe just admit - where I really stand right now. Over the past year, I've grown a little aloof from the Gospel. No, I haven't lost my faith, but I have distanced myself from it a bit. And now it's time to come back. The road I'm on now doesn't lead to where I ultimately want to go.

This is part of the reason I don't make New Year's resolutions. Once a year is not nearly frequently enough to take stock of my position and change my course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home