All Now Mysterious...

Monday, March 21, 2005

FRAG!

I spent all day yesterday defragging my hard drive. No, really . . . it literally took all day to do it. Longer, actually.

During the break last week, I'd been making myself some CDs - song mixes, that sort of thing. And my CD burner was having problems with some of them. I probably made 6-8 coasters§ last week. The last time I had this problem, Curtis (I think, or it may have been Allen) recommended that I defrag my hard drive. Sure enough, that solved it.

I've added a lot of music to my computer in recent weeks. I probably have 95+% of my popular music collection on my hard drive, plus all my comedy stuff, plus significant percentages of my classical and New Age collections. (The only glaring omission that I can see it in the realm of soundtracks. I hope to have that fixed by the end of April as well.) All told, I have about 36.6 gigabytes of stuff on the hard drive, and probably three quarters (¾) of it is music.

So I started the defrag on Saturday night at about 7:30. The last time I had done this, it took all night to run, so I turned the monitor off when I turned in and let the machine run. I was a little surprised when I woke up Sunday morning to see that the process was only 48% complete. So I let it continue to run. And by the time I turned in last night, it was all the way up to 81%. Woo-hoo!

It was finally finished when I woke up this morning. I haven't tried to burn any CDs yet, but I'll probably do so as soon as I get this post up successfully. Wish me luck!

--
§What else are you supposed to do with a CDR that doesn't burn properly?

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home