All Now Mysterious...

Monday, May 09, 2005

Mundane Activities

With no classes to go to for the next week and no work this evening, today has been pretty much mine to do with as I pleased. I did manage to accomplish a few things today.

I started the day by sleeping in. I made it all the way until 7:15 or so. Pretty rare, for me. Even after a late night, my body won't usually let me sleep past 6:40 or so. Fortunate, I suppose, considering the 8:35 class I had last semester. I was a little stiff when I woke up, so I spent about 20 minutes stretching. I should do that more often.

I spent a couple of hours on campus this morning getting ready for my last two semesters. (Wow, that sounded great!) I met with my advisor to check my progress and see where I stand with regard to graduation. He checked my DARS report for additional classes I need to take (or retake). Everything seems to be in order. I have twenty-one hours of classes remaining, which I'll split over Summer and Fall semesters. That will give me all the credits I need and fulfill the various requirements for the university and the department.

My advisor also printed a financial aid verification letter for me for Fall semester, as well as an application for graduation. I took those over to the Student Services building (no, that's not entirely an oxymoron) and turned them in to the respective departments. Information to the effect that I was graduating at the end of Spring Semester (i.e., last week) had somehow made it into the system by mistake, and that was holding up my financial aid for Summer. So I did a little interdepartmental reconnaissance and got the issue resolved. I'm sure the fine folks at Financial Aid will need more documentation before all is said and done — they always do. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I hit the bookstore to look for the book I'll need for this semester's business class, Business Finance and Investments. Unfortunately, I found it. It's a new edition of the book, meaning that this is the first semester they're using it, meaning that there are no used ones available. All of this means that the $90 price they listed for used copies is there just to mock me. It looks like I'm going to have to pony up the full $121.35 (plus tax) for a new one. Alas, Amazon appears to be no help in this situation. The difference in price is not enough to justify waiting up to two weeks to get it. Grumbles and other such comments.

While fooling around at Amazon, I also put my Biochemistry book up for sale. I'll feel no sorrow letting that thing go. I don't sell all of my books. I keep the ones that either are interesting or that I think will be useful later on. I kept my GenChem book, one of my Physics books, several of my Education books, and the like. And I've decided not to sell my Calculus book. But I do sell most of the books I don't see myself desperately needing as a high school teacher. Organic chemistry, for example. I sold that sucker the day I finished the final exam. And my Physical Chemistry book will share the same fate.

I also made myself a couple of CDs today. They are as listed:

Old-School Prog Hits
Yes: Roundabout
Emerson Lake and Palmer: Karn Evil 9 - 1st Impression Part 2*
Genesis: I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)
Jethro Tull: Aqualung
Pink Floyd: Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)
Emerson Lake and Palmer: Lucky Man
King Crimson: The Court of the Crimson King
Yes: Starship Trooper
Pink Floyd: Comfortably Numb
Jethro Tull: Thick as a Brick
The Moody Blues: Nights in White Satin

ProgPop
Asia: Heat of the Moment
Yes: Owner of a Lonely Heart
Queen: Bohemian Rhapsody
The Moody Blues: Your Wildest Dreams
Kansas: Dust in the Wind
Rush: Tom Sawyer
Genesis: I Can't Dance
Styx: Mr. Roboto
Queen: Another One Bites the Dust
Kansas: Carry On Wayward Son
Yes: Love Will Find a Way
Genesis: Abacab
Asia: Only Time Will Tell
Styx: Babe
The Moody Blues: I'm Just a Singer (In a Rock and Roll Band)

While my computer was creating these CDs, I watched an episode of Babylon 5 called "The Corps Is Mother, The Corps Is Father". Scary stuff. Psi Corps are a nasty bunch, and Bester is the nastiest of the lot. I don't care if the guy in question was involved in the death of a Psi Cop, you can't just space someone because he's a mundane. Good thing we don't have telepaths in real life. Or do we....?

Okay, that's it for now. A couple of phone calls, a little reading, and off to bed. Be safe tonight, all.

--
*As Curtis pointed out to me, "Nobody knows it by title but that is the one that starts:
  Welcome back my friends
  to the show that never ends
  we're so glad you could attend
  come inside, come inside."

3 Comments:

  • Believe it or not, I knew the song in question. Jay and I used to talk about opening a bar some day and we were going to play Karn Evil 9 at the beginning of every evening.

    Can you imagine Jay and I opening a bar? We would have drank the profits, without question.

    By Blogger dilliwag, At May 09, 2005 11:11 PM  

  • True, the idea of you and Jay opening a bar back in the day brings to mind the old saying about foxes guarding the henhouse...

    By Blogger Michael, At May 10, 2005 8:39 AM  

  • Sounds like a good idea to me! Er, what would you like? Any preferences of musical styles(s), or themes, or such like? Or I could make you a CD featuring songs by artists you're probably never hear of. What's your pleasure?

    By Blogger Michael, At May 11, 2005 6:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home