All Now Mysterious...

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Call Me Frank

I was the apparent target of mistaken identity today—not once, but twice. First, I had just left my Thermodynamics class and was walking to the Bookstore. As I passed between the Biology building and Building 44, I heard someone say, "Hey, Frank." Then, a little louder, I heard, "How're you doing, Frank?" I looked over to see a man who had just interrupted his conversation with a young lady to speak to me. He was looking straight at me. So I answered.

"I'm sorry, I'm not Frank."
"You're not Frank? You look just like him."
"Sorry, I'm not him."
"Do you sing opera?"
At this point, I couldn't help but say, "Not even at gunpoint."

That pretty much ended that conversation.

Then, after our lab session today, my partners and I went over to the library to work on calculations for the write-up for last week's lab. We had just finished and e-mailed the spreadsheet to everyone when someone else walked up, looked at me, and asked, "Do I know you?"

Here we go again. "Maybe," I answered noncommittally.
"From Institute?"
"No, probably not. They won't let me in there. I'm too old."

I stood up at this point, mostly because we were getting ready to leave. When he saw how tall I was, his expression changed a little. "No, you're not the guy I was thinking of. But you look just like him."

He went on for another minute or so, and to relieve the awkwardness, I finally just introduced myself. He did likewise, and I promptly forgot his name. I think it was Steve, or maybe David. Or maybe it was Frank. I honestly don't recall.

On the way out, I told my lab partners about the Frank Incident from earlier in the day. They had a good chuckle about the whole thing. I said something like, "I don't even know anyone named Frank." Lab partner Jason replied with, "There's Frank Burns." Gee, thanks.

So there appears to be someone wandering around the University of Utah campus with my face. Poor fellow. I hope he doesn't get me arrested....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home