All Now Mysterious...

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Collectable Quotes

I'm not a big fan of mailing lists, but there are two to which I subscribe: one for my wife's family, and Wordsmith.Org's "A Word A Day" list. While some of the unusual words that find their way into my Inbox are interesting, I subscribe to it mostly for the daily quotes that some along with these words.

I collect quotes, and have done so for about 15 years. I generally find about 25% of the quotes from AWAD original enough, interesting enough, insightful enough, and/or entertaining enough to jot down. There have been a lot of really good ones over the last couple of weeks, though:

"Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man's growth without destroying his roots." -Frank A. Clark

"Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have." -James Baldwin

"From my close observation of writers... they fall into two groups: those who bleed copiously and visibly at any bad review, and those who bleed copiously and secretly at any bad review." -Isaac Asimov

"If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. It it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day." -E.B. White

"News is what people want to keep hidden; everything else is publicity." -Bill Moyers

"A child, like your stomach, doesn't need all you can afford to give it." -Frank A. Clark

"It seldom happens that any felicity comes so pure as not to be tempered and allayed by some mixture of sorrow." -Miguel de Cervantes

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home