All Now Mysterious...

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Why I Want to Be a Science Teacher

Editor's Note: One of the first assignments of my Masters Degree program was to write a five paragraph paper on the subject "Why I Want to Be a Science Teacher". Here's mine.
--

I grew up around teachers. My mother taught elementary and middle school for nearly 30 years. My grandmother was also a teacher, as were various aunts, uncles, and family friends. The idea of becoming an educator myself was never far from my mind. As I undertake a course of study that leads toward that end, it is appropriate to consider the reasons behind the decision. My reasons for wanting to become a science teacher include a desire to continue learning myself, a recognition of the extrinsic benefits of teaching, and a desire to have a positive impact in the lives of students.

First, I believe that teaching science will help me to continue to learn about science. Science fascinates me. It always has. I learned about the different kinds of rocks and trees on weekend outings with my family as a youth. In middle school and high school, I started to learn about the foundations of chemistry, biology, physics, and mathematics. As an undergraduate student I began to learn about advanced scientific subjects like organic synthesis, chemical analysis, thermodynamics, and quantum physics. As a teacher, I expect my own learning to continue. As I teach the foundations of these subjects to others, my own understanding will be strengthened and I will be prepared to pursue additional learning myself.

Second, I appreciate the benefits that come with the life of a teacher. I understand that nobody goes into teaching for the money. The benefits of being a teacher are of a different sort. For example, the ability to be at home when one's children are at home—nights, weekends, summers, and major holidays—is quite appealing. The security offered by academic tenure is also alluring in times of economic uncertainty. Teaching also presents new experiences and challenges to teachers each day. There is no such ting as a routine day for a teacher. This combination of stability and variety makes teaching very attractive to me.

Finally, I look forward to the opportunity to have an impact on the lives of young people. I was fortunate to have a number of excellent teachers who made a difference in my life. Mr. Palmer, my high school science teacher, made the subjects interesting by showing us practical applications of what we were learning. Ms. Schulz, one of my English teachers, taught me how to communicate effectively through writing and would never let me settle for less than my very best work. Mr. Hess, my math teacher, taught me that how much you knew wasn't as important as what you know today that you didn't know yesterday. Progression and growth, he taught me, were more important than a simple mastery of facts. In different ways, these and countless other teachers helped to prepare me for a lifetime of leaning, service, and achievement. To have such an effect on my own students will be the most important thing I can accomplish as a teacher.

There are many reasons why a person could choose to become a teacher. Whatever their motivations, however, all teachers will face challenges in the course of their daily work. I know that it will be no different for me. It is not uncommon for teachers to 'burn out' or to become disaffected with teaching. I believe that a larger perspective will help me to avoid such an outcome in my own career. When the time comes for me to deal with such challenges, it will be important to look back and remember why I chose to become a teacher in the first place: to continue to learn myself, to enjoy the tangible rewards of being a teacher, and most importantly, to touch young lives.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home