All Now Mysterious...

Friday, December 08, 2006

Three for the Price of Two

Part I: Friday's Feast
Friday's Feast for Friday, 8 December 2006.

Appetizer Which language would you like to learn and why?
I took two years of Spanish and have forgotten most of it. I'd like to pick it back up again. Being able to speak Spanish would make it a lot easier to communicate with a lot more people, especially students, in this area.

Soup What's the funniest thing you've heard or read so far this week?
The following teaser comes from Fark.com":
"If a woman was pregnant at 14 and divorced by 18, is she most likely to be: A) On welfare? B) A hooker? C) D.C.'s next chief of police?"

Salad Which movie was so bad you couldn't watch the whole thing?
No comment. I got in too much trouble the last time I answered a question like this.

Main Course If there were a holiday in your honor that didn't use your actual name, what would the day be called?
Substitute Educators Day.
(Yes, I know I just posted a link to the NEA. I'm sorry.)

Dessert Name one movie which is coming out soon that you would like to see.
Charlotte's Web. I loved the animated movie as a kid and it'll be interesting to see how they do it as a live action film. And the cast looks fantastic.

--

Part II: Top 5 On Friday
Top Five on Friday from The Music Memoirs:

Topic A: Top 5 CDs you'd like to find in your Christmas stocking this year.

1.
The Cars Soundtrack
Worth the price of admission for the Sheryl Crow and Rascal Flatts tracks, IMHO.

2.
The Day by Reckless Kelly
It's the only RK studio album I don't have. Gotta complete the collection!

3.
1962-1966 (The Red Album) by The Beatles
I've still got this on cassette somewhere, I think. Time to upgrade.

4.
1967-1970 (The Blue Album) by The Beatles
You really can't have one and not the other.

5.
Earthbound by Rocket Scientists
This one's kind of a pipe dream. I've been trying to find it for a couple of years now, but it's been our of print since 2001. Every once in a great while I'll find a used copy for sale, generally in the $35-$45 range. In my most recent search I couldn't even find that. All that seems to be available now is downloads, which would give me the music but not the liner notes. I'm kind of weird like that. I should have just bought it when I first learned about the band!

Topic B: Top 5 songs written by or performed by John Lennon.

1. "All You Need Is Love"
How different would the world would if people actually believed this...?

2. "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)"
This was one of the first songs to teach me how important what's not being said can be.

3. "Free As A Bird"
4. "Real Love"
I'm glad the remaining band members decided to record these two songs, using John's old cassette recordings to include his voice. It was good to hear the whole band again, twenty-some-odd years later. Jeff Lynne (ELO, Traveling Wilburys) deserves a lot of credit for producing the two tracks, too.

5. "Revolution"
I'm not really a big fan of protest songs, but John hit the nail on the head with this one:
"But when you talk about destruction
Don't you know that you can count me out"

6 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home