All Now Mysterious...

Saturday, March 17, 2007

St. Patty's Day Memes

Part I: Friday's Feast
Friday's Feast for Friday, 16 March 2007.

Appetizer Name two things that made you smile this week.
1. Two of my three colleges (BYU, Weber State) made it into March Madness They both lost in the first round, but they made it in!
2. I got to play Wild Card, a Champions character I haven't played in a long time, at this week's meeting of the OGC.

Soup Fill in the blank: Don't you hate it when ________?
...you find out that the financial aid check you were really waiting for has been delayed at least a week? I hate it when that happens!

Salad When you can't go to sleep, what is your personal remedy to help yourself drift into Lullabyland?
When I have trouble getting to sleep at night (which almost never happens, by the way), deep breaths and meditation will usually do the trick.
Once I wake up in the morning, even if it's 5:30 in the morning, I just have to get up. I can almost never get back to sleep.

Main Course What is something about which you've always wondered but have not yet found a good answer?
Why were Firefly and Crusade cancelled after half a season each, while Survivor is well into its fourteenth incarnation?

Dessert What is your favorite pasta dish?
I'm partial to the Whole Grain Tuscan Fettucine (with chicken) at Noodles & Company.

--

Part II: Top 5 On Friday
Top Five on Friday from The Music Memoirs:

Top 5 musical things (songs, albums, bands..whatever) that put you in the St. Patrick's Day mood.
I'm going to go with 'Songs'.

» "Danny Boy" by Bing Crosby (among others)
This song is too closely linked to Ireland not to include on a list like this. I chose Bing's version because it's the one with which I'm most familiar (but see also below).

» "Follow Me Up To Carlow" by Young Dubliners
One of the first songs that got me familiar with the Young Dubliners.

» "The Celts" by Enya
Okay, so this song isn't specifically about Ireland, but it has that feel to it.

» "Seven Nights In Eire" by Reckless Kelly
The corner booth is waiting for the session to begin
It's quiet as a mother's prayer 'till we all stumble in
And it's fifty happy voices mixed with whistles made of tin
And a piper man is blowing like the North Atlantic wind
And an Aran island beauty is sawing on the violin
I wonder will she miss me after seven nights in Ireland


» "Irish Tune from County Derry" by Percy Grainger
Mostly what this reminds me of is high school band, actually. That, and 'Danny Boy', since this composition is where the tune comes from.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home