All Now Mysterious...

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The Madness Is Over

Like many Americans, I've watched the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship Tournament these past three weekends with some interest. Yes, I filled out a bracket. Two brackets, actually; one bracket based on what I thought would happen, and one based on what I would like to happen. For the past couple of years, I've submitted these at work in a contest. Since I'm not really working there at the moment, though, it was just for my own entertainment this year.

Here are the numbers:

Bracket A: (What I thought would happen)
First Round: 24/33
Sweet 16: 10/16
Elite Eight: 5/8
Final Four: 2/4
Semifinals: 2/2
Championship: 0/1
Totals: 43/65 (66%)

Bracket B: (What I wanted to happen)
First Round: 26/33
Sweet 16: 8/16
Elite Eight: 4/8
Final Four: 0/4
Semifinals: 0/2
Championship: 0/1
Totals: 38/64 (58%)

I started off pretty well on the 'B' bracket, but by the end of the first weekend I knew I was in trouble. I started a little slower in the 'A' bracket, but I did a better job of picking teams that would go deeper into the tournament.

Some of my mistakes:

Both Brackets: I didn't have Georgetown or UCLA in the Final Four in either bracket. I had UCLA losing to Pitt in Bracket A and to Weber State in Bracket B. Yes, I really wanted Weber to pull off one of the great upsets in tournament history, and it didn't happen. I had Georgetown losing in the Regional Finals in both brackets, to Texas and North Carolina, respectively.

'A' Bracket: I had Texas beating Southern Cal in the second round and ultimately winning the region. So that whole part of the bracket was screwed after the first week. And I thought Duke would win at least one game in the tourney. Same for Notre Dame, BYU, and Bob Knight's Texas Tech team.

'B' Bracket: Kind of like what I've already written, but worse. I had BYU in the Sweet Sixteen. Of course, that would have required them to win two consecutive big games away from Provo. What was I thinking? I also had Duke, Maryland, Virginia, and Texas A&M in the Elite Eight, and Kansas and Carolina in the Final Four. I guess I gave the ACC and the Big XII a little too much credit.

I typically hover between 50% and 60% on these things,so this year was better than average. Can't wait for next year!

And now, back to my regularly scheduled homework.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home