All Now Mysterious...

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Predicting Harry

I'll not be reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows this weekend. I've got too much homework yet to do. Nevertheless, I'd like to join in Dilliwag's game. Here are my predictions.

The Fate of Harry Potter
Harry will ultimately defeat Voldemort with the help of a lot of good people, but at a terrible personal cost. Like Frodo Baggins, his quest to rid the world of a great evil will leave him less than whole, though not necessarily missing any fingers. Rather, something inside him will be unalterably changed, and the awestruck, wonder-filled, fun-loving boy of the earlier books will be no more. It's even possible that Harry will lose his magical powers and live out the rest of his life as a Muggle (but see below).

Spies!
Yes, that's spies, meaning more than one. Two, specifically. Snape, despite his actions at the end of HPatHBP, is of course still loyal to Dumbledore and the Order of the Phoenix. He will show his true colors at a critical point in the final battle, doing something that will ultimately allow Harry to put away Voldemort once and for all. And it will cost Snape his life. But at least he'll die heroically.

As for "that weasel Percy (what's up with that guy?)", well, he's a spy, too. He's Dumbledore's deep cover operative inside the Ministry of Magic. Dumbledore had long suspected that Voldemort had a mole or two inside the Ministry (which suspicions were no doubt confirmed by the Ministry's reaction to the death of Cedric Diggory), so he put one in place himself. Even the rest of the Order don't know about Percy's true mission, but in the end, they'll say he acted as a true Weasley should. Alas, they'll be saying that at his funeral, because Percy won't survive the book's events either.

Revenge!
With all the revenge melodrama potential in this story, the final book could be a bloodbath. Neville Longbottom finally fulfills the promise of Order of the Phoenix and takes out Bellatrix Lestrange. Draco and Ron have it out: Draco severely injures (but doesn't kill) Ron, after which Hermione and any Weasleys that happen to be present unleash their fury on Draco. Lucius Malfoy avenges his son by killing one of the Weasleys (maybe Fred or George?), and Mr. Weasley fights and ultimately defeats Lucius in a high-powered magical duel. Remus Lupin tracks down Peter Pettigrew and settles things betwen them once and for all. Final death toll of named characters: between 7 and 10.

Mawwidge!
That Ron and Hermione will end up together is a pretty safe bet. (If they don't Ms. Rowling had better have a good place to hide from all the rabid, disappointed fans!) That Harry and Ginny Weasley end up together would not be surprising. It'd be a great comfort to Harry to have such a noble, caring batch of in-laws, especially once Hermione joins the clan, too. Tonks and Remus Lupin would also make for a nice couple. And it'd be great to see Neville with a nice girl, too. Luna Lovegood, perhaps?

So, those are my predictions. If any of these things actually come to pass, I'll be amazed. I can never pick out J.K. Rowling's endings....

5 Comments:

  • Ooooo! Excellent prediction regarding Percy. Hope you're right on that account.

    Luna & Neville? Perfect! I have the Neville gets his revenge prediction jotted down on a yellow pad in my office. I obviously chose not to include it in my predictions. I have this feeling we'll see Neville as a professor of herbology in the epilogue.

    I would love to see Mr. Weasley wallop Lucius Malfoy.

    Keith Olbermann made the same prediction about Harry losing his magical powers. You're in good company. That obviously makes a lot more sense than my convoluted ending. Still, I decided to swing for the fence.

    By Blogger dilliwag, At July 18, 2007 1:13 PM  

  • I've seen that idea for percy hitting messageboards before, and I am partial to it myself.

    By Blogger Lord Mhoram, At July 18, 2007 3:04 PM  

  • I like your predictions. I'm calling my friend in a few hours to get the verdicts, since I've not read the books.

    BTW, I'm tagging you. You get to do the alphabet thing next. I was planning on it--it looked like something you'd like--but I wanted to make sure you'd looked at it first, so you knew what I was talking about.

    By Blogger Wendy, At July 21, 2007 8:41 AM  

  • So . . . uh . . . I read the plot on wikipedia. I'm impressed with some of your predictions. I haven't read any of the books, but have loved the movies, and I simply couldn't wait to find out what happened.

    By Blogger Wendy, At July 22, 2007 7:54 AM  

  • I did better with my predictions. :)

    By Blogger Lord Mhoram, At July 22, 2007 9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home