All Now Mysterious...

Friday, March 21, 2008

The First Memes of Spring

Part I: Friday's Feast
Friday's Feast One Hundred & Eighty One

Appetizer Given the choice, would you prefer to live in the country or in the city?
I'd prefer to live in a small town that was within reasonable driving distance of a small-to-medium-sized city. That way you get the best of both worlds.

Soup Who is the cutest kid you know?
A couple we go to church with has four little blonde-haired boys, all under six years old. They're all really cute.

Salad Fill in the blank: I couldn’t believe it when I heard ___________.
I couldn’t believe it when I heard that Hero Games is coming out with a Sixth Edition. I really haven't even converted from Fourth to Fifth yet!

Main Course If you could star in a commercial for one of your favorite products, which one would you want to advertise?
What ever happened to the old 'Got Milk?' commercials? I could do one of those.

Dessert What type(s) of vitamins and/or supplements do you take on a regular basis?
I take a multivitamin and glucosamine sulfate each day.

--

Part II: Top 5 On Friday
Top 5 On Friday - Week 167 from The Music Memoirs:

Top 5 Cover Songs or Covers Albums
I'm going to go with songs:

» "...Baby One More Time" by Ahmet and Dweezil Zappa (Originally recorded by Britney Spears)
That anyone was able to take this song and make it enjoyable to listen to is quite an achievement.

» "You Won't See Me" by Anne Murray (Originally recorded by The Beatles)
According to the liner notes of her greatest hits album, John Lennon once told Anne that her version of this song was his favorite Beatles cover ever. Who am I to argue with John Lennon?

» "Eleanor Rigby" by Godhead (Originally recorded by The Beatles)
Of course, John never heard this recording. The industrial sound this band gives it fits the mood of this song even better than a double string quartet.

» "Gypsy (Of a Strange and Distant Time)" by Rocket Scientists (Originally recorded by The Moody Blues)
While Rocket Scientists do a lot of fantastic covers (their version of "Welcome to the Machine" on their debut album being one prime example), this is my favorite. In some ways, lead singer Mark McCrite sounds more like Justin Hayward on this song than Justin Hayward did on the Moodys' version!

» "It's My Life" by Paul Anka (Originally recorded by Bon Jovi)
There's a little musical in-joke here. Part of the Bon Jovi lyrics is "Frank said I did it my way", a clear reference to the classic Frank Sinatra song "My Way"...which was written by Paul Anka.

» "Hurt" by Johnny Cash (Originally recorded by Nine Inch Nails)
If there are words to describe how powerful this song is, I can't find them. Just listen to it.

6 Comments:

  • We have two that are the same, and we swapped on a third (the Rocket Scientist). :)

    Good call on Hit me Baby. :)

    By Blogger Lord Mhoram, At March 21, 2008 9:49 AM  

  • We had similar answers to our Appetizer. I enjoyed your feast. Have a great weekend! Oh and hi to a fellow Utah neighbor :)

    By Blogger Jen, At March 21, 2008 10:06 AM  

  • Fantastic list. And yes, Ahmet and Dweezil totally rocked "Baby One More Time" out!

    By Blogger Polly, At March 21, 2008 10:14 AM  

  • Wow! I didn't know that Dweezil did Baby One More Time! I love Dweezil. And another wow. I didn't know anyone ever covered The Moodies other than Nights. (Except on that obnoxious bluegrass Tribute CD)

    By Blogger The Mistress of the Dark, At March 21, 2008 5:35 PM  

  • It was a good call on Lennon's part because Anne Murray's version of "You Won't See Me" is one of my favorite covers. I picked up a free copy of "Rock Swings" by Paul Anka from where I work around the time it came out. It makes for some good driving music.

    By Blogger Malcolm, At March 22, 2008 2:44 AM  

  • I've never heard that Moody Blues cover! Wow :) Great answers.

    By Blogger moodymistress, At March 22, 2008 4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home