All Now Mysterious...

Friday, September 12, 2008

Death of the Manly Facepet

When I was young—somewhere between 6 and 8 years old, I think—my Dad decided he was going to cut my hair to save the family a little money. He got out the clippers and went to work, and generally did a decent job. That is, except for one spot on the back of my head. I don't know if it was that I flinched, or he flinched, or he just didn't know what he was doing, but I ended up with a bald spot on the back of my head about the size of a silver dollar. Mom never let Dad cut my hair again.

Well, I did the same thing to myself this morning. Only it wasn't on the back of my head. It was on my face.

For most of my life, I've been clean-shaven. This is in stark contrast to my two brothers: A, who's had a mustache pretty much continuously since the age of 14, and S, who insists on wearing only the lower half of a goatee. But on a few occasions, I've grown a goatee (top and bottom) as well. The first time I did, it looked like this:



It still looks pretty much like that, except that the lower portion has turned more and more grey as the years have gone on. And that used to bug me a little. But since I turned 40 in May, I've decided I don't really care about the grey any more. I've earned it! So I started growing my goatee again the Monday after my birthday, and I've kept it until now.

Until today, that is. As I was getting ready for work today, I was trimming one side of the beard, and I slipped—took a big old gouge out of it. I didn't realize it at the time, but when I'd rinsed off my face, I could tell that something was wrong. I took a quick inventory of my remaining facial hair, and quickly determined that there was no way to balance it out without making it look ridiculous. So I had two choices: Shave the beard and leave the mustache, or shave it all off. I decided that I'd rather be clean-shaven than look like somebody in a 70's cop show.

So now I'm beardless again. At least my haircut is still intact.

6 Comments:

  • That sure was a shocker when I walked into the bathroom and saw the hairless face! You are a hottie whether or not you have the facial hair. Sure love you!

    By Blogger Nancy, At September 12, 2008 5:26 PM  

  • I guess things balance, I started growing my 'stache & goatee again. :)

    So the game group remains in balance.

    By Blogger Lord Mhoram, At September 12, 2008 10:17 PM  

  • Heh. I did the same thing a year or so back, Mikey. Unfortunately, I put a nice gash in my mustache. I left it alone and let it grow back. I looked pretty goofy for several days (like that's anything new).

    By Blogger dilliwag, At September 13, 2008 8:05 AM  

  • I've had at the very least a mustache since I was a junior in high school. About two years ago I shaved off all my facial hair. My wife screamed, my son wouldn't look at me, and my doctor smirked (just happened to have an appointment that day). Needless to say, I haven't gone clean-shaven since.

    By Blogger Joe, At September 15, 2008 3:19 AM  

  • Oh that is so sad!

    Not sure why I laughed when I read it, though. Sorry!

    By Blogger Wendy, At September 18, 2008 9:17 PM  

  • Dan was telling me about this link today and I thought of you:

    http://www.goateesaver.com/

    By Blogger Wendy, At September 21, 2008 5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home