All Now Mysterious...

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Our Daily Bread

I was in the mood for homemade bread yesterday, and after a little internet searching, I found the following recipe (ultimately from All Recipes):

Amish White Bread

INGREDIENTS
* 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
* 2/3 cup white sugar
* 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* 6 cups bread flour

DIRECTIONS
1. In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.
2. Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
3. Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.

I've made bread before, and this is by far the easiest recipe I've ever found. Aside from the yeast, these are all probably ingredients that most people already have in the kitchen, and it doesn't take a breadmaker or a lot of special equipment to make. I made it using only a set of measuring cups/spoons, two large mixing bowls, two bread pans, a wire whisk, a wooden spoon, any my own two hands. (And an oven, of course.) It takes a fair amount of time (~3 hours, start to finish, including washing the dishes). Most of that is letting the dough rise and the bread cook, though. You can do other things while that's going on (homework and laundry, in my case).

How did the bread taste? Very, very good. It's a little sweet for my personal taste; I'll probably only use 1/2 cup sugar next time. Also, I don't think the water was quite warm enough, so the yeast didn't fully foam and the bread didn't rise quite as much as I expected. Things to pay attention to next time, I suppose.

Anyway, very easy and highly recommended!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home