All Now Mysterious...

Monday, April 16, 2007

Old New Music

When we brought Granny's car back from Montana after her funeral in December, it had a top of the line sound system in it. Given that the car is a 1990 model, that meant a high-end cassette player. As I've been driving it around, I've been using a portable CD player with a car kit to listen to music. When my CD player went on the fritz, though, I turned to a rather unusual solution to my music needs. No, not the radio...cassette tapes.

You remember cassettes, right? Little plastic cartridges with magnetic tape inside? I had a ton of them back in the day, though I've replaced almost all of them with CDs now. But in looking through my stuff, I found a whole carrying case full of mix tapes I'd made back in the day. Given that the last time I listened to cassettes regularly was when I still had Dad's old Pontiac 6000, 'the day' would have been about 1998-1999. So I took the case out to my car and began a weeks-long musical trip down memory lane. I heard a lot of songs I really like, but that for whatever reason, don't seem to be in my regular rotation anymore. So I made a list of some of the old favorites and made a mix CD. With a CD player in the car now, I can listen to these old favorites again. Here's the playlist:

"One Night in Bangkok" by Murray Head
"Fantasy" by Aldo Nova
"Hannah Jane" by Hootie and the Blowfish
"She's So High" by Tal Bachman
"Uninvited" by Alanis Morisette
"Easy Lover" by Phil Collins and Philip Bailey
"Only the Mountains Know" by Cherie Call
"Runaway" by Damn Yankees
"A Love So Beautiful" by Roy Orbison
"Do You Believe In Love?" by Huey Lewis & the News
"Last Night" by Traveling Wilburys
"Smooth" by Santana with Rob Thomas
"Do What You Have To Do" by Sarah McLachlan
"She's A Beauty" by The Tubes
"Calling America" by ELO
"A Touch Of Your Hand" by The Nylons
"Eyes Like Twins" by Wilson Phillips
"Miles Away" by Winger
"Ghost of Stephen Foster" by Squirrel Nut Zippers

Ah, the memories...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home