All Now Mysterious...

Sunday, October 03, 2004

Conference Weekend

While I was a missionary in West Virginia, a local member of the church related an experience he'd had. He was once asked, "Why don't you Mormons have revivals?" An appropriate question in a Bible belt state, I suppose. This man responded by saying, "We do. We call it General Conference."

Twice each year, members of the church gather to hear the teachings of church leaders. In most of the world, the proceedings are transmitted via satellite to church meetinghouses. In Utah, however, they're shown on the local NBC affiliate and broadcast on a prominent local radio station (both of which are part of a media group owned by the church).

There are always a few announcements concerning changes in personnel and projects that the church is involved in. But the main point of Conference is for members to hear words of guidance, comfort, and warning from church leaders. Not much of it is new information. Most of it comes in the form of inspired reminders of things we've probably been taught for years. That's how it seems to me, anyway. I don't seem to need to learn as much as I need to remember.

It often seems that the speakers are talking directly to me. There are two main lessons that I take from this Conference:
1) You don't need to worry so much. Things will go the way they're supposed to go.
2) You know what you need to do to help things go they way they're supposed to go. Do it.


Reassurance, coupled with a call to action. Yes, I know what I need to do; it seems that six months ago, I was saying to myself, "I have a few things to work on." Now, I still have a few things to work on. Most of them are the same things.

More humility. Less stubbornness. More study of the scriptures. Less pointless web surfing. More prayer and meditation. Less mindless escapism. More faith. Less worry. More kindness. Less condescension. More praise. Less criticism. More gratitude. Less grumbling. More self-confidence. Less self-pity. More optimism. Less cynicism. More forgiving. Less judging. More patience. Less anger. More laughter. Less of it at the expense of others. More service. Less selfishness.

That's about enough for now. Let's check back in about six months.

1 Comments:

  • Thanks for putting this together. I'm not sure if I didn't get as much from conference because I was sick or perhaps because I was distracted, but I needed the reminders you posted.

    Take care.

    By Blogger Your Host, At October 13, 2004 7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home