All Now Mysterious...

Sunday, October 17, 2004

Day of Rest (?)

Today was a busy day for me. Last Sunday at church I volunteered to give this week's lesson in Sunday School/Choir. (In the ward I'm in now, we were sharing the building with three other wards until a few weeks ago, so the only time a room with a piano was available for the choir to practice was during church. So we meet in the chapel while everyone else goes to classes. We have a brief lesson, then spend about half an hour practicing music each week. It's a neat arrangement, but it'll probably be discontinued when our meeting schedule changes at the first of the year. We'll be back to practicing after the meeting block is over.)

So I got the lesson manual and gave it a look after I got home. About that time, I got a phone call from the ward. They told me that one of the speakers for next week's (i.e., today's) meeting had to cancel, and would I be willing to prepare a 10-12 minute talk on the subject of responsibility? Unlike most church members, public speaking doesn't bother me. I actually enjoy it, most of the time. I accepted.

Then the week got busy. We got temps at work again, as well as an extremely urgent and labor-intensive project that will run at least eleven of the next sixteen nights. School is school, and I got hit with the season's first cold on Thursday, which rendered me basically useless for about two and a half days.

End result: I finished writing the talk and preparing the lesson this morning before church.

Things went pretty well. First, church doesn't start until 1:00 for me, so I had all morning to finish up. The lesson was easy; I just had to introduce the topic and direct the discussion. The talk was a bit harder, what with my voice still not being 100%. But I said what I had intended to say, and I got a lot of good feedback afterwards.

I came home, greeted by the smell of Crock Pot chicken. After an early dinner (supper?), I watched a little TV (Broncos 31, Raiders 3; Teen Titans and Kim Possible) and then headed to the computer for some serious blogging. I actually find this relaxing. It's the closest I get to a social life these days.

I'm tired; the cold is still hanging on just a bit. So I'm turning in early. I hope to sleep soundly; cold medicine tends to give me bizarre dreams.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home