All Now Mysterious...

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Predictable

Part I: Friday's Feast
Friday's Feast for Friday, 28 September 2007:

Appetizer How are you today?
I'm operating within normal parameters. (I'm fine, in other words.)

Soup Name 3 television shows you watch on a regular basis.
1. Babylon 5
2. Scrubs
3. Stargate SG-1
All on DVD. We don't have cable, and reception in our basement apartment isn't great. Sometimes I'll turn on the TV on Saturday to watch college football, but all the teams I want to watch are tied up in a terrible TV deal that you can only get with one specific cable carrier.

Salad What’s the scariest weather situation you’ve experienced?
When I was about 8, I remember hearing on the news that there were six tornadoes surrounding the small town we had just moved into. We watched the news with the twin girls (Doris & Dolores) who lived in the apartment next door. Pretty scary for an 8-year-old whose Mom and Dad were still at work.

Main Course If you could wake up tomorrow morning in another country, where would you want to be?
Preferably somewhere where they spoke English. Otherwise, getting breakfast could be a problem.
Seriously, maybe somewhere in Europe. Ireland, or London, or even in the Swiss Alps. Or maybe Canada, somewhere along the Pacific coast.

Dessert What do you usually wear to sleep?
Now that the weather's turning chilly, I've pulled out the old flannel pajama bottoms.

--

Part II: Top 5 On Friday
Top 5 On Friday - Week 143 from The Music Memoirs:

Top 5 CDs That You Bought Used.
This one's hard, because I buy almost everything used. The trick is to narrow it down to five really good ones....


» Perennial Favorites by Squirrel Nut Zippers
At the height of the neo-swing craze in the late 90's, I saw this album lumped in with some of the other groups I knew. So I picked it up, and I've loved it ever since.
Favorite Song: "Ghost of Stephen Foster". Just a lot of fun.



» Songs for the Daily Planet by Todd Snider
I was first introduced to Todd Snider by Lord Mhoram. I went out and bought this CD and was even more impressed after listening to it closely.
Favorite Song: Hard to pick, there are so many, but I'll go with "Trouble" for sheer cleverness of the lyrics.



» Son of a Son of a Sailor by Jimmy Buffett
Probably my favorite Buffett album, I found it at a used CD store in Ogden, Utah for $7.99. Pretty good use of eight bucks, any way you look at it.
Favorite Song: "Coast Of Marseilles". Perhaps the most haunting thing Jimmy ever recorded.



» Tambu by Toto
I'd thought about buying this when I first saw it in the store, but after the disaster that was Jean-Michel Byron on Past to Present, I was reticent to spend any more money on the band. Turns out I needn't have worried; Steve Lukather fills the lead vocalist role admirably (with occasional help from David Paich).
Favorite Song: Since I mentioned my favorite song from this album last week, I'll go with "Drag Him to the Roof" this time. Fun little bass line, among other things.



» Calling All Stations by Genesis
Can Genesis even exist without Phil Collins? The answer is yes, and despite what a lot of the critics said, it was pretty good. Once you get past the fact that Ray Wilson is not Phil, this album sounds just like Genesis at their best. Perhaps the most underrated CD of the last decade.
Favorite Song: "Congo". Driving, energetic, and a perfect match to Wilson's voice.

10 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home