All Now Mysterious...

Monday, November 16, 2009

The Twelve Days of Thanksgiving: Day 2

On the Second Day of Thanksgiving:

I am thankful for modern medicine. We are expecting our first child in just over a month, and the medical care my wife and the offspring have received is amazing. Ultrasound technology, blood tests to screen for possible diseases (especially important since my wife's oldest sister had Down Syndrome), intravenous fluids to fight dehydration, anti-nausea medication . . . the list goes on and on. I'm so thankful to live in a place (and a time) where there's so much access to good medical care.

Side note: My wife had a friend who decided to go 'natural' for her baby's delivery. Halfway through, she changed her mind and told the nurses she wanted an epidural, only to be told, "We're sorry, it's too late for that. You'll have to finish without it." That's NOT going to happen with us. When asked if she wanted an epidural, my wife said, "Heck yes! I was born in a time with drugs for a reason!" My answer, had I been asked on her behalf would have been similar, if a little snarky: "What is this, the 17th century? Of course we want an epidural!")

Back again tomorrow for Day Three.

1 Comments:

  • I am definitely thankful for this, too! What would I have done without it?!!! If I was unsure about whether or not I wanted drugs, the video in our last prenatal class definitely made up my mind. Go drugs!

    By Blogger Nancy, At November 18, 2009 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home